Car seats & # 39; should NOT be used as cribs & # 39 ;: investigators warn that babies & # 39; s may choke if their head comes forward in unsecured seats
- Review of 12,000 baby-sleep-related deaths found 219 chokes in car seats
- In 99 percent of the cases, the car seat was not used to transport the child in a vehicle
- Experts warn car seats should not be used as cots and children should not nap in them
Parents are told not to let their babies sleep in the car at home because of the risk of being choked.
Researchers made the warning after viewing about 12,000 sleep-related deaths in babies over the course of a decade.
Nearly 220 young people died while sitting in car seats – but only 0.2 percent of deaths occurred while traveling in a vehicle.
More than half of the car seats died when the seat was used at the child's home.
The most common cause of death in car seats is positional inflammation, the team at the Children's & # 39; s Hospital of the University of Virginia warned.
Parents are warned not to let their babies sleep in car seats because of the risk of suffocation (file image)
It happens when a person's position prevents them from breathing by blocking their mouth and nose.
When a car seat is used, it is attached to a base in a corner where the airway of a child is open.
But when the car seat is on a flat surface, a child's head may fall forward because they have weaker neck muscles and cut off their airways.
Children often have airways that are still very soft and babies may lack the muscle strength to move or lift their necks.
If the child is not moved quickly after the slumber, lack of oxygen can lead to death or brain damage, experts warn.
In the journal Pediatrics, lead researcher Rachel Moon wrote that car seats are important when traveling with a baby.
But she added: & # 39; It's best not to let the child sleep in the car seat when you get home. The safest place for a baby to sleep is on a firm, level surface. & # 39;
WHAT IS POSITIONAL ASPHYXIA?
Positional suffocation is a rare cause of sudden death that occurs when a person cannot get enough air to breathe because of the position of his body.
It is most common in babies & # 39; s in a position where their mouth and nose are blocked or where their breast cannot fully expand.
Experts say that babies are the safest when sleeping in their own bed with a firm, flat mattress surface.
Positional asphyxia is also known to be a factor in the death of people who suddenly die due to police restraint when they are maneuvered into an unusual position.
Approximately three percent of the nearly 12,000 baby-sleep-related deaths between 2004 and 2014 in the US occurred in session.
Car seats were the site of 219 deaths, while inflatables, swings and similar devices were 122 deaths. Seven babies died in prams.
The researchers noted that some parents may not be able to afford a baby cot and others use the chairs to hold the child while they perform other tasks.
But they warned that car seats should not be used as a normal sleeping aid. Experts recommend that babies sleep on their backs in a Moses basket or cot.
Manufacturers recommend that babies should not be left on the seats for more than two hours.
Kate Holmes, support and information manager at The Lullaby Trust, repeated the calls of researchers.
She said: & # 39; Babies should not sleep in car seats when they are not traveling and should be transferred to a safe sleeping place when they arrive at their destination.
& # 39; We always recommend that babies sleep on a firm, flat, waterproof mattress that is free of toys or loose and bulky bedding.
Mrs. Holmes added: & At the Lullaby Trust we advise parents not to sit in a car with their baby for a long time.
& # 39; On longer journeys we advise parents to regularly take a break when the baby is removed from the car.
& # 39; If possible, an adult should sit in the back of the car with the baby or use a mirror to monitor them.
& # 39; If a baby changes its posture and falls forward, parents must stop immediately and remove the baby from the car seat. & # 39;