Parents remove children from school after they have learned that the campus is next to a coronavirus quarantine camp
“Yes, it’s a joke”: Furious parents pick up their children from school after learning an improvised coronavirus quarantine camp in the area
- About 280 Australians are quarantined in a workers’ village in Howard Springs
- But students from Good Shepherd Lutheran College are now being taken out of school
- Parents fear that the disease may be in the air, despite health officials that it is not
Furious parents have taken their children out of school after they learned that a mining camp next to the campus is being used as a coronavirus quarantine center.
About 280 Australians will be isolated in the unused Inpex workers’ village in Howard Springs, 30 km east of Darwin, after fleeing the Wuhan coronavirus epicenter.
Good Shepherd Lutheran College reported parents at a meeting on Monday, but some felt that authorities did not allow time to hear their concerns.
Now some parents plan to keep their children at home after they have read the deadly disease that can be transmitted over the air.
Students from Good Shepherd Lutheran College (photo) are withdrawn by their parents because they are worried about the corona virus
“Yes, it’s kind of a joke,” older Beckie Kernich told NT News about the lack of community consultation.
“I am convinced that that is the information that they currently have and that is the information that they believe and that is the information that they act on. From my perspective, there is a lot of international information that you can immediately see online that questions that. can pull. ”
Mrs. Kernich said she wasn’t sure if she would allow her teenage son to go to school when he was back next week.
But the mother of two Karen Donald said her children would stay at home until the site is closed.
NT Deputy Chief Health Officer, Di Stephens, has given assurance that the virus can only be spread through droplets during close personal contact.
She said those with the virus had to cough, kiss or spit someone, rubbing those particles into someone’s eyes to get sick.
The Inpex labor camp (photo), 500 meters away from the school, accommodates around 280 Australians for two weeks
Other parents do not worry that their children will become infected.
Nicolette McCourt said that social media circulated a lot of false and misleading information and that her children would stay in school.
“It’s not in the air, it’s just through droplets, there’s a 50-meter buffer zone between the village and our fence, so there’s just no worries for me,” she said.
She added that if her family had been one of those who were entangled in the crisis abroad while visiting relatives, she would like the Australian government to offer her the same treatment.
Hundreds of evacuated people arrived in Howard Springs on Sunday, where they will be staying at least 300 meters within the facility and 500 meters from the school for the next two weeks.
Australian evacuees from the Chinese city of Wuhan arrive on February 9 in the Inpex Plant Manigurr-ma Village in Darwin, Northern Territory, Australia
Evacuees were initially expected to be quarantined on Christmas Island, but that is possible with two flights from Wuhan that have already been taken there.
The camp once housed 3,500 workers involved in the construction of Inpex of a $ 55 billion gas plant in Darwin Harbor.
Aboard the first evacuation flight were 77 children, 11 babies and a less-able-90-year-old man, the Australian border force said.
They were subjected to corona virus tests before and during the six-hour Qantas flight from Wuhan and on landing and probably did not have a corona virus.
The new viral outbreak that began in China has infected more than 40,546 people worldwide, which has led to more than 910 deaths so far.
AUSTRALIA WITH THE CORONAVIRUS
NEW SOUTH WALES: 4
- Three men, 43, 53 and 35 years old who had recently traveled to China, have confirmed that they have contracted the disease.
- Two flew in from Wuhan, while the other arrived in Sydney from Shenzhen, South China.
- They are treated in isolation at Westmead Hospital and are in a stable condition.
- A 21-year-old woman is identified as the fourth person who tested positive for the disease in NSW.
- The woman, a student at UNSW, flew the MU749 to Sydney International Airport on January 23 and presented to the emergency department 24 hours later after developing flu-like symptoms.
- She is treated in isolation at Westmead Hospital.
- A Chinese citizen aged fifty will be the first confirmed case of the corona virus in Australia.
- The man flew on January 19 from Wuhan via Guangzhou to Melbourne on the Southern Southern flight CZ321.
- He is now in quarantine at the Monash Hospital in Clayton in the east of Melbourne.
- A Victorian man in his sixties is diagnosed with the corona virus.
- He became unwell on January 23 – two days after his return from the Chinese city of Wuhan, the epicenter of the outbreak.
- The man was confirmed as positive on January 29 and was subsequently seen by doctors at the Monash Medical Center. He was rated good enough to stay at home.
- A woman in her forties has a corona virus.
- She was visiting from China and mainly spent time with her family.
- She is being treated at the Royal Melbourne Hospital.
- A woman in her twenties in Melbourne appears to have the virus
QUEEN COUNTRY: 5
- Queensland confirms its first case after a 44-year-old Chinese subject was diagnosed with the virus.
- He is being treated at the Gold Coast University Hospital.
- A 42-year-old Chinese woman who traveled in the same Wuhan travel group as the 44-year-old man tested positive. She is in stable condition at the Gold Coast University Hospital.
- The corona virus has been diagnosed in an eight-year-old boy. He also comes from the travel group where the other Queensland cases came from
- The case was found in a 37-year-old man who was a member of a group of nine Chinese tourists in quarantine on the Gold Coast
- A 37-year-old woman was diagnosed with the corona virus of the same travel group that flew from Melbourne to Queensland on January 27
SOUTH AUSTRALIA: 2
- A Chinese couple in their sixties who arrived from Wuhan in Adelaide to visit relatives confirmed that they have coronavirus.
- It has been confirmed that two Australians have the virus in Wuhan itself. Australia has increased the travel alarm level to ‘not traveling’ for the city of Wuhan – the epicenter of the outbreak – and for the entire Hubei province.
- Chief Medical Officer Brendan Murphy says that unless people are in contact with someone who doesn’t feel well and comes from that part of China, there is no cause for concern.
- Four Australians are among the 65 newly confirmed coronavirus cases aboard the quarantined Diamond Princess cruise ship docked in Yokohama.