WhatsNew2Day
Latest News And Breaking Headlines

Paedophile Hey Dad! star Robert Hughes is released from jail and awaiting deportation to the UK

Embarrassed Hey daddy! actor and convicted child sex offender Robert Hughes has been released from prison and will be deported to the UK today after being paroled.

The 73-year-old was paroled on June 2 by the NSW State Parole Authority, who ordered his release by Tuesday.

He was released from Long Bay Correctional Facility just after midnight on Tuesday and is in the Villawood Detention Center awaiting deportation from Sydney airport.

Former Hey Daddy!  star Robert Hughes (above) awaits deportation to the UK after being released from Long Bay Correctional Facility just after midnight on Tuesday

Former Hey Daddy! star Robert Hughes (above) awaits deportation to the UK after being released from Long Bay Correctional Facility just after midnight on Tuesday

Hughes renounced his Australian citizenship in 2020, thus becoming an illegal citizen who had to be deported on release.

The Australian Border Force, which usually handles the deportation of convicted criminals who are not Australian citizens, said it would not comment on operational matters.

During its parole hearing, the SPA said it was convinced that Hughes’s release after eight years behind bars was in the interest of community safety.

Hughes, who starred as Martin Kelly in the TV comedy from 1987 to 1994, was previously rejected by the SPA twice.

“The perpetrator has been rated as a below-average risk,” said SPA president David Frearson and four panelists.

“He plans to live with his wife and has no intention of looking for work.”

Hughes was sentenced to 10 years and nine months in prison in 2014 with a six-year unconditional term, expiring in April 2020.

Hughes (bottom left) was jailed in 2014 on 10 charges related to sexual and indecent acts committed against four young girls, including his daughter Sarah Monahan (bottom center), in the 1980s and 1990s.

Hughes (bottom left) was jailed in 2014 on 10 charges related to sexual and indecent acts committed against four young girls, including his daughter Sarah Monahan (bottom center), in the 1980s and 1990s.

A jury found him guilty of ten charges related to sexual and indecent acts committed against four young girls in the 1980s and 1990s.

Hughes continues to deny his crimes despite “overwhelming evidence.”

The victims included his former on-screen daughter, Sarah Monahan, who attended his third hearing.

“He’s an old man and he’s frail, but they don’t change, and he’s a denier,” Ms. Monahan said.

“He still thinks he didn’t do anything.”

The SPA acknowledged that the “profound and damaging effects on the victims … continue to this day and are likely to have lifelong consequences.”

“It must be extremely painful for the victims to observe the perpetrator’s persistent and persistent denials in the face of compelling and overwhelming evidence from multiple witnesses,” it said.

The SPA accepted expert evidence that Hughes was consistently rated as having a below-average risk of sexual recidivism.

This prevented him from accessing sex offender treatment programs while in custody.

Victim Ms Monahan (above) said Hughes is still a 'denier' of any wrongdoing despite 'overwhelming evidence' proving his crimes

Victim Ms Monahan (above) said Hughes is still a ‘denier’ of any wrongdoing despite ‘overwhelming evidence’ proving his crimes

Hughes will live in the United Kingdom with his wife Robyn Gardiner. Ms Gardiner told the probation agency that she will keep him away from children if he is unsupervised.

He and his wife promised that once back in the community, he would seek treatment from Rachel Pike, a clinical psychologist who specializes in convicted sex offenders who deny their crimes.

This would help his reintegration and reduce his risk of recidivism.

“The perpetrator’s wife expressed her intention to continue to provide emotional support after his release,” the authority wrote in its decision.

In addition, she has advised that she has arranged accommodation for the perpetrator to live with her after his eventual return to London.

“While she believes in his innocence, she expressed her intention to ensure that the perpetrator does not have uncontrolled contact with children.

“She has expressed her intention to encourage him to undergo psychological counseling.”

The SPA noted that the last of its crimes took place three decades ago.

“The offenses took place in certain settings where the perpetrator abused his power and his position of trust,” it says.

“He no longer enjoys such power or confidence as a direct result of the convictions and the resulting widespread negative publicity, despite his defiant denials.”

Once in the UK, Hughes (above) will be monitored under the 'notification requirements' of the Sexual Offenses Act, including notification authorities if he intends to remain in a household where a child is present for more than 12 hours

Once in the UK, Hughes (above) will be monitored under the ‘notification requirements’ of the Sexual Offenses Act, including notification authorities if he intends to remain in a household where a child is present for more than 12 hours

Although the allegations against Hughes were leveled in the 1990s, it took a paid television interview by Ms Monahan in 2010 to launch a wide-ranging police investigation into allegations of sexual misconduct by the actor.

His victims included a family friend, friends of his daughter and Mrs. Monahan.

Hughes made his third parole attempt after two failed attempts. His minimum sentence of six years made him eligible for parole on April 6, 2020.

Judge Peter Zahra, who died suddenly last month, pronounced the sentence with strong conviction against Hughes.

‘He committed brutal predatory behavior; he planned and orchestrated the occasions on which the behavior occurred. His behavior was persistent and calculated,” he said.

‘He abused his position of trust and exploited the naivety and youthfulness of the children.

‘The profound and damaging effects on the victims over many years, if not their entire lives. The victims here remain deeply troubled by the perpetrator’s behaviour.’

The NSW State Parole Authority said it is unlikely that Hughes (top left) would reoffend, as his crimes took place several decades ago and was in a situation where he

The NSW State Parole Authority said it is unlikely that Hughes (top left) would reoffend, as his crimes took place several decades ago and was in a situation where he “abused his power and his position of trust” which he “no longer enjoys”

Australian Border Force has advised to notify British authorities of Hughes’ imminent return.

Hughes will be monitored in the UK under the ‘notification requirements’ of the Sexual Offenses Act.

He must report to the police within three days of his return to the UK and once a year thereafter and within three days of changing his details.

He must provide passport and bank details and must notify the police of any intention to leave the UK.

Hughes must also provide details of where he lives and where he regularly resides if this is different from his home address.

“It is mandatory to inform the police if he is going to stay (at least 12 hours) in a household where a child is present,” the probation authority noted.

He will be sent back to prison for up to six months if he does not meet these conditions.

1800 RESPECT (1800 737 732)

Lifeline 13 11 14

This website uses cookies to improve your experience. We'll assume you're ok with this, but you can opt-out if you wish. Accept Read More