President Donald Trump is promoting FEMA's response to Hurricane Maria that hit Puerto Rico last fall as an "incredible success not recognized."
It is estimated that 2,975 people died in the storm that left the island without running water and without electricity in the longest power outage in the history of the United States. UU
We were "incredibly successful," Trump said Tuesday about his government's work last fall.
"I think Puerto Rico was an incredible success without success," he said. "The best job we did was Puerto Rico, but no one would understand."
"In fact, I think it's one of the best jobs that has ever been done about what this is all about," he added.
President Trump said the response to Puerto Rico was an "unbelievable success" & # 39;
President Donald Trump listens while FEMA Administrator Brock Long, center, talks about Hurricane Florence in the Oval Office with Secretary of Homeland Security Kirstjen Nielsen
The buildings were swept away and the island's infrastructure was devastated in what was seen as one of the worst storms that struck Puerto Rico in nearly 100 years.
The public service owned by the government of Puerto Rico announced last month that it had restored electricity to all of its customers, almost 11 months after it hit Hurricane Maria, a category four storm.
The island's government estimated that it will need about $ 125 billion over the next decade to rebuild.
The Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) narrowed last October when the island was attacked, after Hurricane Harvey hit Texas in August and Hurricane Irma hit Florida in September.
Trump praised his work there, too.
& # 39; Texas have given us A advantages for. Florida have given us advantages A & # 39; & # 39; said.
It is estimated that Hurricane Harvey, also a category 4 storm, had a total cost of $ 125 billion while Irma had a cost of $ 50 billion.
President Donald Trump throws paper towels to a crowd at Calvary Chapel in Guaynabo, Puerto Rico, during his October visit
President Donald Trump and First Lady Melania Trump visit residents affected by Hurricane Maria in Puerto Rico
President Donald Trump participates in a distribution of food and supplies
The president also claims that the US government is "as ready as anyone" for Hurricane Florence, which is expected to land on Thursday off the coast of Carolina.
"The safety of Americans is my absolute top priority, we do not save any expense," the president said.
Trump emphasized how big the storm will be during a briefing in the Oval Office by FEMA Administrator Brock Long and Secretary of the Department of Homeland Security Kirstjen Nielse.
Hurricane Florence is expected to strengthen to category 5 on Tuesday.
& # 39; We are fully prepared. We are ready as nobody has ever been, "he said.
"This is going to be a storm that is going to be very big, much bigger than we have seen in decades," he added.
"It is tremendously large and tremendously humid," he said.
He noted that he has spoken with the governors of North Carolina, South Carolina and Virginia.
"Unlike Puerto Rico, they have very strong electric companies," he said of the states.
"They're going to do a great job."
Hurricane Florence is expected to strengthen to category 5 on Tuesday with more than 1.5 million people ordered to evacuate as powerful storm barrels head north and south of Carolina.
More than 1.5 million people were ordered to evacuate their homes in preparation. Vehicles lined with heavy traffic (up) in Wallace, North Carolina on Tuesday
The National Hurricane Center expects Florence to become a "major, extremely dangerous hurricane" & # 39; Thursday night before making landfall, mostly in southeastern North Carolina, near the border with South Carolina.
More than 1.5 million people were ordered to evacuate their homes in preparation for what could become one of the most catastrophic hurricanes to affect the eastern seaboard in decades.
The governor of South Carolina ordered the evacuation of all the state's coastline starting at noon on Tuesday and predicted that 1 million people would flee when the roads recede, which means that all traffic will move away from the coastal areas.
Virginia issued a mandatory evacuation order for about 245,000 residents in coastal areas prone to flooding from 8 a. M.
At least 250,000 more people were due to be evacuated from the North Outer Banks in North Carolina on Tuesday after more than 50,000 people were ordered to leave Hatteras and Ocracoke, the southernmost barrier island in the state.
The governors of North Carolina, South Carolina, Virginia and Maryland have declared states of emergency.