Organizers of The Hundred condemn online racial abuse targeting ‘players and others’ since launch

Organizers of The Hundred condemn online racial abuse targeting ‘players and others’ since launch, saying anyone posting discriminatory posts ‘is not welcome here’

  • People involved in the Hundred event are the target of racial abuse
  • The 100 organizers have condemned the online racist messages
  • Sportspeople have been the target of racial abuse in recent months

Organizers of the Hundred have revealed that since its launch, racist posts on social media have targeted “players and others.”

Launched earlier this week, The Hundred includes eight franchises — each with a men’s and a women’s team — competing in 100-ball matches bowled by each team.

A message was posted on social media from the organizers on Sunday morning, saying that anyone posting racist messages “is not welcome here.”

Organizers have revealed racist messages have been sent online since the beginning of the Hundred

Hundred organizers said those who send racist messages 'are not welcome here'

Hundred organizers said those who send racist messages ‘are not welcome here’

The statement read: “We want The Hundred to be for everyone. The beauty of sport, in all its forms, is its ability to unite and inspire. Cricket is no different. But we do not accept racism or other forms of abuse.

“Unfortunately, we have witnessed this unacceptable behavior online in recent days, towards our players and others.

“We stand together with the rest of cricket against all forms of discrimination. You can disagree with us on many things, but not on that. Anyone who does is not welcome here.’

Sportsmen have been regularly the target of online abuse in recent months, including England trio Marcus Rashford, Jadon Sancho and Bukayo Saka after they missed penalties in England’s final during England’s final shootout defeat to Italy.

Lewis Hamilton faced racial abuse last week after being involved in a trackside collision with title rival Max Verstappen.

The Hundred will run over the next month, with the winners being crowned in both the men’s and women’s tournaments on August 21.

Marcus Rashford, Jadon Sancho and Bukayo Saka received racial slurs after Euro 2020 final

Marcus Rashford, Jadon Sancho and Bukayo Saka received racial slurs after Euro 2020 final

Lewis Hamilton also faced racist messages after his on-track collision with Max Verstappen

Lewis Hamilton also faced racist messages after his on-track collision with Max Verstappen

Advertisement

.