Opera singer Alan Costigan claims that he got beer line cleansing fluid as a joke that caused him extensive injuries to the mouth, throat and stomach and destroyed his singing skills
A talented opera singer claims that his career has collapsed after he claimed that a barmaid gave him a poisonous drink as a joke – which had set his throat on fire.
Alan Costigan, 42, said he was afraid he would die and could no longer sing after drinking the glass of line cleaning given to him by a barmaid.
The opera singer said he had just given the landlady a singing lesson when a barmaid told him a new & # 39; red Ribena & # 39; was offered and asked to drink him in one & # 39 ;.
He told how he started spitting blood and burned his mouth, throat, esophagus and stomach when he drank it at the Echo Pub in Gravesend, Kent.
A police spokesman said a woman was arrested in connection with the incident but was released because there was insufficient evidence to prosecute.
The insurers of the pub have admitted that The December in December 2017 & # 39; in breach of duty & # 39; and was liable for the & # 39; accident & # 39 ;.
But a pub spokesperson, where Costigan used to work, denied that he had deliberately been given the toxic liquid to drink.
Costigan said: & I was having coffee, chatting with one of the regulars when the bartender came up and said: why didn't I try this red Ribena? She said I had to finish it in one.
& # 39; I drank about half because it was a large amount in a glass where you would serve a vodka and coke.
& # 39; As soon as I swallowed it, I knew something was radically wrong.
The Echo bar in Gravesend, Kent, in the photo, strongly denied that an employee was deliberately giving Mr. Costigan the liquid but said the substance was accidentally made available to the public
& # 39; It immediately burned my throat and I could hear her laughing behind the counter and saying it was beer line cleaner.
& # 39; I said & # 39; what did you give me that for? & # 39;
& # 39; I immediately got a large glass of water and drank a lot, but it didn't stop burning.
& # 39; I started spitting blood and I was really worried.
& # 39; When it went down, it was just the most exciting thing you could imagine in your throat. It was as if I had been drinking molten lava.
& # 39; The pain was unbearable and like nothing I had ever felt before.
& # 39; I really thought it was all over for me.
Costigan called 111 and was told to wait where he was while sending an ambulance to take him to the hospital for emergency treatment.
Costigan said his breathing was affected by the injury
Costigan said that his self-confidence has been destroyed since his injury. He said prior to drinking the liquid that he was able to stand in front of an audience and sing. Now he said he is a hermit suffering from depression
& # 39; I thought she had given me something that would kill me.
& # 39; I could not breathe well and I coughed up a lot of blood. I was in shock and I thought I'd die.
& # 39; Where I coughed up blood, it burned when it came up. & # 39;
He stumbled home a few hundred meters before calling the non-urgent NHS hotline 111.
He said: & # 39; They said it was really serious and that I had to talk to a poison doctor.
& # 39; They told me not to come to the hospital because they would send an ambulance directly to me.
& # 39; I thought I was dead, it's over, I'm not going to go to the hospital. & # 39;
He added: & # 39; From a vocal point of view, this has destroyed my career.
& # 39; I'm going to be able to sing on stage for many people to not even be able to leave the house.
& # 39; I am a hermit suffering from depression and have had panic attacks. & # 39;
Mr. Costigan's lawyer, Emma Hall, said it is not known what the long-term effects of drinking the liquid are. She said he had suffered both psychological and physical damage from the incident
He said that his balance, nervous system, and breathing were also affected, and added: I will never be the same after what has happened to me.
& # 39; This has ruined my life.
& # 39; Even if I could sing, I don't know if I'll ever be good enough to play again. & # 39;
He has ordered personal injury specialists from Hodge Jones & Allen to take legal action against the pub.
His lawyer Emma Hall said: & # 39; My client's life has been destroyed, all because a bar girl thought it was funny to let him drink a very toxic and toxic substance.
& # 39; He has suffered serious psychological injuries and also the physical trauma he has suffered as a result of consuming the beer line cleaner.
& # 39; In addition, he has not been able to work since the incident and does not know what the long-term effects on his health are. & # 39;
A spokesperson for The Echo said: & # 39; The accusations have been violently denied in any other way than an element, namely that a substance was wrongly made available to the public.
& # 39; The bartender denied that everything was done as a joke – she did not say he should drink it. She was not aware that he had drunk it until afterwards. & # 39;
Police confirmed that on December 1, 2017, they had received a report of an attack on the use of pipeline cleaners at The Echo in Gravesend, Kent.
A spokesperson for the Kent police said: “Officers conducted a full and thorough investigation and arrested a woman in connection with the incident, but there was insufficient evidence to continue with a prosecution.
& # 39; The study has therefore been submitted pending further information coming to light. & # 39;
. [TagsToTranslate] Dailymail