Only nine of the donations pledged to rebuild Notre Dame have been received despite some prominent donors – including the richest man in France – opening a billion euros just days after the devastating outbreak
- Nearly £ 1 billion was pledged in the days following the fire in Notre Dame cathedral
- But that so far only about nine percent of that number has been donated
- Bernard Arnault, the richest man in France, among those who have pledged donations
- It is unclear how much he has donated, but he had promised 200 million euros
It has been found that only nine percent of the donations for the reconstruction of Notre Dame were received after a billion euros were promised, just a few days after the devastating fire.
The shocking figure was revealed two months after a huge fire almost destroyed the old place of worship.
After several donations from prominent donors, it was thought that the money raised for a reconstruction program that would see the cathedral restored to its former glory had reached a billion euros.
Several prominent donors promised a billion euros to rebuild Notre Dame in the aftermath of the fire
But research has shown that the four major fundraising groups have so far received the equivalent of around EUR 56 million.
Although a billion had been pledged, the groups were expected to receive approximately 640,000 million euros.
& # 39; This means that many of those who said they donated to the case simply did not bother, & said a source of fundraising in the French capital.
& # 39; Once the fund's promises reached the one billion euro mark, but we are now far from that. & # 39;
The survey was conducted by the France Info radio channel show.
The devastating fire started on April 15, and within two days was Stephane Bern, the TV personality who helped launch the call by saying that Notre Dame & # 39; was a good friend who almost disappeared & # 39; said: & # 39; The billion in donations was reached during the day. & # 39;
French multinationals were among those who promised money to restore the building, which was flooded with flames after a probable accident in his loft.
The luxury goods group LVMH, led by Bernard Arnault, the richest man in France, promised 200 million euros
Multi-billionaire Francois-Henri Pinault has also pledged 100 million euros to the reconstruction program
L & O 39 promised 200 million euros, while the luxury group LVMH, led by Bernard Arnault, the richest man in France, promised the same.
Multi-billionaire Francois-Henri Pinault also promised 100 million euros.
Such huge amounts of money would have meant that it was almost certain that President Emmanuel Macron's claim that the cathedral would be restored within five years was likely.
France Info collected its figures through four fundraising organizations – the Fondation France, the Heritage Foundation, the Notre Dame Foundation and the Center for National Monuments.
President Emmanuel Macron claimed that the cathedral & # 39; within five years & # 39; would be restored
Despite the disappointing figures, the Catholic Cathedral will re-open its doors to believers for the first time since the Saturday fire.
There will be a & # 39; small mass in a side chapel with a limited number of people present & # 39 ;, said a spokesperson for the Archdiocese of Paris.
Millions of people around the world regretted the fire at the start of Holy Week, with well-placed people in Great Britain and America, among others, who lent money to Notre Dame.
. [TagsToTranslate] Dailymail