WhatsNew2Day
Latest News And Breaking Headlines

Only 37% of New Yorkers who think they have had coronavirus have antibodies

Only 37% of New Yorkers who think they have had coronavirus have antibodies to prove it, testing of more than 1,300 city residents suggests

  • Icahn School of Medicine on Mount Sinai in New York tested 1,343 people for antibodies to coronavirus
  • More than half of the participants only suspected they had the virus, but no Pap smear diagnosis had been made
  • Only 37 percent of those people had developed antibodies, suggesting the other 63 percent were uninfected
  • Here’s how you can help people affected by Covid-19

Many people in the United States with symptoms similar to those of the common cold – cough, fever, runny nose – think they have had coronavirus.

But most likely not, research from the Icahn School of Medicine at Mt Sinai in New York City suggests.

There, scientists recruited more than 1,300 people from the city who had tested positive for coronavirus or suspected they had it but had not been tested.

Of the 719 people who thought they had it, 37 percent tested negative for both the virus and the antibodies they might have created if they had previously been infected.

“That implies that probably many of the people who suspect they had this probably didn’t have it,” study co-author Dr. Ania Wajnberg.

And assuming they have had coronavirus and thus developed antibodies that could protect them from reinfection – an immunity that is still uncertain – people could be at greater risk of social distraction and primarily self-indulging. virus.

Many Americans believe they have had coronavirus - but antibody tests from New York City residents who suspected they were infected revealed that only 37% had antibodies that could protect them from reinfection (resistant)

Many Americans believe they have had coronavirus – but antibody tests from New York City residents who suspected they were infected revealed that only 37% had antibodies that could protect them from reinfection (resistant)

As of Wednesday, more than 1.57 million Americans have tested positive for coronavirus.

That means less than 0.5 percent of the U.S. population has had coronavirus

Still, a third of Americans suggest they may have had it, a recent one suggests Business Insider poll.

Estimates from most epidemiological models and antibodies testing initiatives suggest that the actual number of infections falls somewhere in the gap between those two numbers.

So far in New York City – the epicenter of the pandemic – about one in five people tested have antibodies to coronavirus, indicating that they are already infected.

The latest antibody test study from the University of Southern California suggests that somewhere between 2.5 and seven percent of the Angelinos have contracted coronavirus.

In Boston, 10 percent of the people who had been tested for antibodies had it, as did 4.4 percent of the people in France.

In fact, U.S. officials have considered using antibody testing as the basis of “ immunity passports, ” and the UK and Germany have taken steps to implement the documentation showing that people have tested positive for antibodies to the virus and may be immune to reinfection to societies help reopen.

At this point, even if someone tests positive for antibodies, we don’t yet know what level of protection it offers, or how long it can last.

And people who resume normal lives based on the assumption that they have had coronavirus and have antibodies that will protect them (also an unproven assumption) are even more dangerous.

The Mt Sinai team recruited 1,343 people for their antibody test study.

Of these, 624 had been diagnosed with coronavirus, confirmed by gold standard PCR swab tests.

The other 719 suspected they had coronavirus because they had symptoms, lived with someone with a confirmed diagnosis, were told by a doctor that they had the virus, or that they were health professionals.

Most had no antibodies to indicate that they were infected.

Only 36 percent developed IgG antibodies – the kind that confer longer immunity – against SARS-CoV-1, which causes COVID-19, and 37 percent were negative for both antibodies and the current infection.

“This finding suggests that a majority of participants suspected of having Covid-19 were not actually infected with SARS-CoV-2,” the study authors wrote.

“However, it may also include a false negative frequency of our test (which has a 92 percent sensitivity) or insufficient time for participants to set up an IgG antibody response.”

It is encouraging that almost everyone diagnosed with coronavirus did indeed develop antibodies, suggesting that most people will receive some protection after recovery.

.

Comments
Loading...