Oleksandr Usyk’s team claims Anthony Joshua fight over DAYS will take place in one fell swoop for Whyte and Andy Ruiz
Oleksandr Usyk’s team is ‘optimistic’, his heavyweight clash against Anthony Joshua will be finalized in DAYS in one fell swoop for Dillian Whyte and Andy Ruiz Jr’s chances to beat the world champion one more time
- Anthony Joshua considers his options after Tyson Fury’s fight goes awry
- Dillian Whyte and Andy Ruiz Jr both offered to step in for Fury and take on Joshua
- However, AJ has been ordered by the WBO to fight his obligatory Oleksandr Usyk
- The Ukrainian team has claimed that the fight will be a done deal within days
Oleksandr Usyk’s team is ‘optimistic’, his heavyweight showdown with Anthony Joshua will be concluded in days.
The news will come as a massive blow to Dillian Whyte and Andy Ruiz Jr, who both threw their names in the hat to meet the united champion after his proposed £ 100million uncontested fight with Tyson Fury collapsed.
Joshua’s promoter Eddie Hearn revealed earlier this week that Whyte and Ruiz Jr were under consideration, despite the WBO ordering him to then fight their mandatory challenger Usyk.
Anthony Joshua will fight Oleksandr Usyk next time with a deal to be finalized in days
Usyk’s team claims there are ‘no obstacles’ to stop their husband from challenging Joshua
The two teams were given a May 31 deadline to begin negotiations before the fight would be decided via bids, but Uysk’s promoter revealed they are already in talks and about to reach an agreement.
“We are now in the middle of negotiations and things look optimistic,” said Usyk’s promoter Alexander Krassyuk. Sky Sports.
“As long as I am informed, there are no visible obstacles to the deal not going through, hopefully it will be completed within the specified timing.”
Joshua’s fight against former cruiserweight king Usyk is expected to take place in the UK around August, with Wembley being touted as one of the options to host it.
The news comes as a blow to Andy Ruiz Jr (right), who wanted a third fight with Joshua
Dillian Whyte also said he would skip his mandatory shot at Tyson Fury and then meet Joshua
AJ, who holds the WBA, WBO and IBF world heavyweight titles, was set to fight Fury in Saudi Arabia in the early fall, but their Battle of Britain fell through after Deontay Wilder won his legal case in arbitration for a Trilogy fight with the gypsy to get King.
Hearn admitted this week that Joshua is desperate to become the first undisputed heavyweight champion since Lennox Lewis in the early 2000s, but his “hands are now tied” because of his mandatory commitments.
“The fight with Usyk is most likely for us,” Hearn told Behind The Gloves. ‘We also talk to other people about other fights.
The goal is to be uncontroversial. All AJ has done is quit mandatory fights to keep the belt. How long does he have to do that?
Fury, meanwhile, prepares to fight Deontay Wilder for the third time after the AJ fight collapses
‘You never get the freedom to do what you want. In an ideal world, we’d like to do what Saul ‘Canelo’ Alvarez has done – have three fights in six months.
But it’s about defending the seat belts. He wants to be undisputed.
“He doesn’t want to lose the straps, but his hands are always tied.”
WBC Champion Fury, meanwhile, is preparing to meet Wilder for the third time with their July 24 clash in Las Vegas.