Kevin Spacey’s sexually inappropriate behavior was “known” at the Old Vic Theatre, where staff were warned to “be careful” around the Hollywood actor, a court heard.
An alleged victim suggested that Spacey’s conduct at the venue, where the actor worked as art director from 2004 to 2015, was widely recognized as problematic.
The man, whose name cannot be identified for legal reasons, said Spacey started making him uncomfortable just two weeks after they first met.
In evidence heard at Southwark Crown Court, the whistleblower said: “It was known at the Old Vic Theatre. These little comments that would go on, people would say: watch out. It was well known that he was up to no good, so to speak.
Jurors at Southwark Crown Court were shown footage of the interview, in which the man described Spacey as a “slippery, meandering, difficult person”.
The 63-year-old defendant has been described by prosecution as a “sexual harasser” while being charged with sexual offenses against four men between 2001 and 2013. Spacey denies any wrongdoing.
On Monday, the first complainant to testify said he was “disgusted” with the alleged sexual assaults, saying: “He was trying to grope me and try to grab me and make me feel very uncomfortable.”
The man said Spacey told him he could introduce him to A-list stars, saying that when he tried to defend himself against one of the alleged attacks, the actor replied: “That turns me on a lot. You are such a man.
Describing his allegations against the defendant, the man said: “He grabbed me in private areas and then tried to get his hands on me.”
The alleged victim said that he tried to “whitewash” what happened.
Spacey was ‘very sensitive’
Describing an incident that he said happened to him, the man said: “He grabbed me so hard I almost went off the road. He grabbed me very hard and it hurt a lot.
“I pushed him against the door and told him, ‘Don’t do that again or I’ll knock you out.'”
Continuing to talk about the incident, one of Spacey’s alleged victims told the police officer: “I was disgusted that he did that.”
The court heard the alleged victim describe the actor as “very sensitive.”
He told the police officer: “Obviously being a man’s man and a professional, I found it quite disturbing and just plain uncomfortable. He made me feel so awkward and uncomfortable.”
The man said the actor became “very nice” and started grabbing him on several occasions, and the alleged victim told him to stop.
And he added: “He left me and said nothing. She would just laugh and change the subject.”
The man could be seen describing Spacey as a “slippery, serpentine, difficult person” and a “very confusing individual.”
He continued: “He grabbed me. She grabbed me a few times.
“He would squeeze my butt and rub my legs.”
Spacey pleaded not guilty in January to three counts of indecent assault, three counts of sexual assault and one count of causing a person to engage in sexual activity without consent.
The two-time Academy Award winner also previously denied four more counts of sexual assault and one count of causing a person to engage in nonconsensual penetrative sexual activity.
The trial continues.