Zach Smith went on the offensive in a furious avalanche of tweets on Wednesday, apparently in an attempt to protect his children from the media storm that followed his dismissal and allegations of domestic abuse against him.
Former Ohio State wide receiver coach Zach Smith went on the offensive in a furious avalanche of tweets on Wednesday, denying the allegations of ex-wife domestic abuse and attacking those he considers responsible for putting his two children in the center. a media storm.
Several of the tweets showed images of his two children with his ex-wife Courtney, who successfully petitioned a judge for a protection order in July that eventually led to the disclosure of the allegations and his dismissal. Courtney accused Zach Smith of beating her when the couple lived in Florida in 2009 and again while living outside of Columbus, Ohio in 2015.
Zach Smith was not charged in any case.
Silence = finished & # 39; read the first of many tweets from Smith, whose dismissal put the head coach of the Buckeyes, Urban Meyer, under scrutiny for his handling of the accusations against his former assistant.
Zach Smith went on to emphasize several points, including: & # 39; 1. My children are suffering from all this (more important), 2. I never beat my wife, & # 39; and & # 39; 3. OSU failed the investigation and worse of the "punishment".
Zach Smith accused his ex-wife Courtney of ignoring his children in his attack on him
Courtney Smith (left) accused Zach Smith of beating her when the couple lived in Florida in 2009 and again while living outside of Columbus, Ohio in 2015
Ohio State Buckeyes head coach Urban Meyer (right) mishandled the allegations against Zach Smith (left), according to the school's internal investigation, and is now suspended for three weeks
Meyer is currently serving a three-week suspension after a two-week investigation that found him and athletic director Gene Smith (unrelated to Zach) mishandling the allegations against Zach Smith, the grandson of Meyer's mentor, the former coach at Ohio State Earle Bruce boss. Because Zach Smith was not arrested for domestic violence in 2015, neither Meyer nor Gene Smith believed they were required to report it to university officials, which is a violation of their contracts.
Courtney alleged that her then husband pushed her against a wall and put her hands around her neck in 2015, one of several alleged domestic incidents that involved the couple and that came to light after being fired on July 24.
"Oh … I did not forget", Zach Smith wrote about Courtney in response to a Tweet that has since been removed. & # 39; The truth will come to light. LOL. She is NOT a victim & # 39;
Zach Smith accused the president of the state of Ohio, Michael Drake, of being "the cause of the joke of an" investigation "into Meyer's handling of the allegations," or allowed it. "
Courtney Smith has shared photos from November 2014 that show the alleged abuse
In the days after his dismissal, former ESPN journalist Brett McMurphy spoke with Courtney Smith, who said he believed Meyer was aware of the allegations of abuse in 2015 because he had told his wife about the incidents in detail, offering Text messages to back it Claim. (Courtney Smith also accused Zach Smith of abuse in 2009 when he worked as an assistant under Meyer at the University of Florida)
On August 3, college football reporter Brett McMurphy revealed text messages that purport to show Zach Smith acknowledging the abuse to his then-wife Courtney.
On Wednesday, Zach Smith pointed out Lifeless to McMurphy, whom he called & # 39;[s]Traight Scumbag.
Hey @Brett_McMurphy – some quick questions … because you're a HIGHLIGHTED journalist & # 39; read one of a series of tweets in which McMurphy questioned about how he got his information.
A constant theme throughout Zach Smith's Twitter speech on Wednesday was his desire to protect his children from the media storm surrounding his relationship with his ex-wife.
While using the handle of McMurphy in a tweet that contained an image of two of his children, Zach Smith wrote: "Look at these faces, you ruthless clowns and without morals (sic.) Every LIE or dramatic version of the truth that you report , you hurt THESE precious children! As your mother has and continues to do, do you have families? Children?
At one point, the rape survivor activist, Brenda Tracy, tried to prevent her from repeatedly publishing her photos: "PLEASE, DO NOT SHARE THOSE TREATS WITH PHOTOS OF YOUR CHILDREN Those children do not deserve to be used like this & # 39; .
Zach Smith did not hesitate to respond.
Ultimately, Zach Smith told Brett McMurphy & # 39; I'll see you in court, clown & # 39;
THE STRUCTURE OF ZACH SMITH'S SALARY IN OSU
According to Zach Smith's terms of employment, the now-former assistant coach was to earn $ 340,000 for the 2018 season before being fired in July.
That figure, however, could have increased dramatically, depending on the success of the Buckeyes.
Smith had to pay increases of 8.5 percent for a Big Ten Division title, 4.25 percent for a conference title, 17 percent if the Buckeyes reach a bowl game, something they have done 29 times since 1989 and a huge 25.5 percent if Ohio State plays for a national championship.
If Smith had stayed in the state of Ohio and the Buckeyes won a national title for the 2018 season, it would have approached $ 600,000 for the season.
He also received a stipend of $ 600 per month along with football and basketball tickets.
"Ha ha ha … you just proved you're a one-sided clown," he wrote to Tracy. & # 39; WERE USED WHEN THEY HAD TO GO TO THE SCHOOL AND TRY WITH FALSE ACCUSATIONS AGAIBST (sic) YOUR DAD! Please stop tweeting I used to be a great admirer and follower … but you just proved that you are not a seeker of the truth …
Zach Smith went on to claim that Courtney & # 39; involved & # 39; to your children & # 39; ruining them … relying on revenge & # 39;
Oregon columnist John Canzano chided Zach Smith for calling Brenda Tracy survivor of a gang rape a "one-sided clown."
Once again, Zach Smith was quick to respond: "I agree. Sad moment of a woman so powerful and courageous. Everyone should be able to look two ways and judge! I, like many people, looked at her two sides … and OBVIOLOSLY (sic) sided with her. She, unfortunately, did not do the same.
Through the school's internal investigation, Ohio State investigators obtained documents and receipts that showed that Zach Smith had ordered more than $ 2,200 in sex toys and photographic equipment, only to have them delivered to the school's sports center. . Courtney Smith also accused Zach Smith of taking pictures of his penis inside the coaches' offices and during a visit to the White House after the Buckeyes won a national title in 2014.
NOTABLE FINDINGS ON THE OSU PROBE
By The Associated Press
Ohio State published a 23-page summary of the findings of an independent investigation of Coach Urban Meyer's handling of domestic violence allegations against a former Buckeyes assistant coach, Zach Smith. Meyer was suspended for the first three games of the season and will waive six weeks of payment.
Some notable findings:
– Urban Meyer and his wife, Shelley, doubted the veracity of the allegations of violence and abuse of Courtney Smith by her ex-husband. Urban Meyer called Smith's situation a "he said he said" Last month in a text with a former player. He also urged investigators that he met with Courtney Smith after Zach Smith's arrest in 2009 and that he retracted his original story to authorities. Courtney Smith told investigators that she had never met with Meyer nor refused any accusation.
Meyer of the Ohio State Buckeyes celebrates with his wife Shelley after the Big Ten Championship against the Wisconsin Badgers at Lucas Oil Stadium on December 2, 2017 in Indianapolis, Indiana. Courtney Smith claimed that Shelley was well aware of the alleged abuse she suffered at the hands of her now ex-husband, former Buckeyes assistant Zach Smith.
– Meyer, the athletic director Gene Smith, who was also suspended without pay for two weeks, and others at Ohio State thought it was not his place to do anything about the accusations against Zach Smith unless the police took more measures such as making an arrest or file a charge charges The investigators called that a widespread misunderstanding of their reporting obligations.
– Investigators were concerned that after a media report in which Courtney Smith said she told Shelley Meyer in 2015 that Zach Smith attacked her, Urban Meyer asked a staff member to erase messages from text for more than one year by changing the settings of your phone.
– While assessing why Meyer made misleading statements in Big Ten when asked about the 2015 incident between Zach Smith and Courtney Smith that was reported to the police, investigators said they had learned that Coach Meyer sometimes had significant memory problems in other situations where he had extensive prior knowledge of the events & # 39; The researchers said that Meyer has taken medications periodically that can negatively affect his memory, concentration and concentration.
– The investigation identified a pattern of disruptive behavior by Zach Smith: promiscuous and shameful sexual behavior, drug abuse, truancy, dishonesty, financial irresponsibility, a possible violation of the NCAA and a lengthy police investigation into allegations of violence domestic criminal and cyber crimes & # 39;
Zach Smith allegedly ran significant strip club bills while serving as assistant
– Zach Smith got a great strip club account in 2014 with a high school coach in Florida and spent $ 600 on personal funds. Meyer rebuked Zach Smith, but did not report the problem to compliance officers or the sports director. Investigators said they told the NCAA about the incident.
– In June 2016 at the insistence of Meyer, Zach Smith entered a drug treatment center for addiction to an unexplained stimulant prescription drug, the report said, adding that Gene Smith never told him about it.
– Investigators found that Meyer was determined not to reveal Zach Smith's problems to the media and went too far in his denials when he lied to reporters in the Big Ten media about his knowledge of the 2015 police incident. But the report He also found that Meyer has sometimes had significant memory problems in other situations in which he had extensive prior knowledge of events & # 39; Meyer has taken medications that can damage his memory, concentration and concentration, according to the report.
– The report says that Zach Smith's conduct was repeatedly received with warnings and warnings by Coach Meyer, but never a written report, never an investigation and no disciplinary action until July 23, 2018.