Footy star Dylan Brown is given an extraordinary suspension while facing trial over charges of groping a woman’s breasts in a posh bar – and why he says a dance floor video will exonerate him
- The Eels playmaker was present at court in Sydney on Wednesday
- Was arrested Saturday night in Double Bay
- Lawyer requested to change bail conditions
Parramatta Eels player Dylan Brown has been banned from entering a licensed premises in the Sydney suburb where he allegedly sexually touched a woman without her consent.
Under new terms of his bail, the 22-year-old must also report to Rose Bay Police Station at least once a week on Monday.
The Eels five-eighth was arrested at the Golden Sheaf in Double Bay after police were called to the location around 11:40pm on Saturday.
He was charged with five counts of sexually touching another person without consent.
Brown (pictured, left) was originally banned from entering the suburb of Double Bay before that was changed to a ban on being in licensed premises in the area
The Eels star (highlighted, right) was seen at the pub in video footage taken shortly before his Saturday night arrest
Brown appeared in Sydney’s Downing Center court on Wednesday, where his lawyer requested that bail conditions be changed from a blanket ban on entering Double Bay to a ban on entering licensed premises in the suburb.
In a statement, the Eels said the club had been made aware of the matter and informed the NRL integrity unit.
“As it is a police matter, the club will not comment further at this time,” it said on Sunday.
As of Sunday afternoon, the NRL was still debating whether or not Brown would be subject to the policy, as each charge only carries a maximum prison sentence of five years.
Brown’s lawyer said CCTV does not support the claim that the Parramatta Eels star touched a woman’s breasts five times at the eastern suburbs hotel.
Mr Brown was represented in court on Wednesday by barrister David Newham and supported by Eels staff and his manager Gavin Orr.
The five-eighth has been picked to play for Parramatta in Monday’s game against the Bulldogs despite the allegations – but the NRL could still decide to reject him
Brown’s lawyer David Newham told the court the charges against his client are not supported by CCTV evidence they both saw at Bondi police station (Brown is pictured out of court)
Magistrate Theo Tsavdaridis agreed to adjourn the case for three weeks.
“Mr Brown and I reviewed CCTV footage at Bondi Police Station yesterday,” Mr Newham said out of court on Wednesday.
“It does not support the idea that Mr. Brown approached this young woman five times and touched both breasts with both hands. It doesn’t support that at the moment.’
The prosecution agreed to two variations on his bail, including reducing his reporting requirements from three days a week to Mondays only.
Mr Newham told the court he hopes the case will be resolved when it comes to court later this month.
Born in New Zealand, Mr Brown has made 95 appearances for the Eels since making his debut with the team in 2019 when he was just 18.
He has been selected for the Eels’ Monday afternoon clash with Canterbury but is still subject to resignation under the NRL’s ‘no fault’ policy.
Mr Brown was not automatically resigned because he was not charged with a crime carrying a maximum prison term of 11 years or more.
However, NRL chief executive Andrew Abdo could use his discretion to oust him.