Hugh Jackman has rushed back to New York and will not watch his Manly Sea Eagles play during their historic season-opening doubleheader in Las Vegas.
The Wolverine star, 55, was set to be one of the biggest names at the VIP stand at Allegiant Stadium to support the NRL’s latest push into the US market.
But “unforeseen circumstances” have forced the Hollywood star to return home and miss the long-awaited match, he reported. The Daily Telegraph on Sunday.
The actor was reportedly seen in Las Vegas on Saturday (AEDT) but quickly flew back to New York before being able to watch Manly take on the Souths and Brisbane battle the Roosters.
His close friend and Australian sports commentator Gus Worland said the actor “felt devastated to leave.”
Hugh Jackman, 55, quickly returned to New York and will not see his Manly Sea Eagles play during their historic season-opening doubleheader in Las Vegas. Pictured supporting Manly against the Roosters in 2015.
“He made the effort to come here, but due to unforeseen circumstances he had to return,” Gus explained.
“He was really disappointed. He really wanted to wear his Manly shirt for the game.”
South Sydney Rabbitohs co-owner Russel Crowe also declined to attend the Las Vegas event due to filming commitments in Europe.
The Wolverine star was set to be one of the biggest names at the Allegiant Stadium VIP stand to support the NRL’s latest push into the US market.
However, he has lent his voice to the NRL’s official advertising campaign in the United States doing voiceover for a television advertisement.
Hugh’s absence from the historic game comes as a surprise after it was reported in December that he was “very interested in taking part” in its promotion this year.
Manly chief executive Tony Mestrov revealed last year that he had been in contact with Hugh and was confident the Australian actor would be involved in the exciting venture.
But “unforeseen circumstances” have forced the Hollywood star to return home and miss the long-awaited match, The Daily Telegraph reported on Sunday. Pictured with Manly Warringah Sea Eagles coach Des Hasler in 2011
“I contacted Hugh by email and there was a bit of back and forth correspondence,” Tony said. Yahoo Sports Australia.
“I have officially invited him to our game and he has indicated that he will be there. He is looking forward to participating and believes that the Las Vegas adventure is a great idea for the club and the game as a whole.
In a major coup for the NRL, the double-header will air in prime time in the US on the Fox network.
It represents an invaluable opportunity for the sport to attract new fans and will also mark the first time NRL matches will be held outside of Australia or New Zealand.