- There are strict US border control measures.
- Past indiscretions forced explanations.
- All players in historic confrontations have already been acquitted
NRL fans will be able to enjoy the full complement of stars in Las Vegas for the historic season opener in the United States and the final players will receive their visas to travel to their respective clashes.
Several players were sweating over being admitted to the United States due to past indiscretions, with Brisbane Broncos fullback Reece Walsh and Sydney Roosters star Brandon Smith the latest players to be approved on Friday.
Walsh was given a good behavior bond and fined $400 after pleading guilty to possession of cocaine and contravening a police order to proceed in 2022.
Smith’s case was perhaps the most curious, as he had to give an explanation to the United States Government for an incident that occurred a decade ago when he was playing under-20 for the North Queensland Cowboys.
Both had their visas forwarded to the U.S. government, but were granted them early Friday morning.
Walsh posed for photographs with teammate Adam Reynolds after flying to Sydney to get his visa approved for the NRL round one clash against the Roosters in Las Vegas.
Roosters star Brandon Smith was all smiles after sorting out the paperwork for his trip to Las Vegas.
It’s a relief for both the Brisbane Broncos and Sydney Roosters, but also for NRL boss Peter V’landys, who has made no secret of his desire to use Walsh to sell the game to American football fans.
“He’s got charisma and presence, Reece Walsh,” V’landys told Nine’s Today ahead of the 2023 NRL grand final.
He’s the Justin Bieber of rugby league. They look like brothers.
Meanwhile, it was also good news for South Sydney teammates, friends and family Latrell Mitchell and Jack Wighton, who were also granted visas this week.
They had to offer an explanation that they were charged with fighting in a public place, fighting and obstructing/resisting territory officials after they allegedly got into a fight on a Canberra street following a night of 30th birthday drinking. of Wighton.
The charges were later dropped.
Latrell Mitchell and Jack Wighton had their charges dropped last year, so they were able to obtain their visas for Las Vegas.
Mitchell even launched his own line of t-shirts to celebrate historic NRL clashes in Las Vegas.
Mitchell wasted no time showing his joy at being granted a visa and released a limited edition of clothing that reads “Trellmit Vegas Takeover.”
“I’m happy, man,” Mitchell said.
‘It was pretty fast there. We are approved and ready to go. I can’t wait for Las Vegas.
“Vegas is cool and I get to play in front of new eyes, so let’s go.”
Souths defender Michael Chee Kam and assistant coach John Sutton were also cleared to fly to Las Vegas.
One of the more curious visa cases was Manly Sea Eagles recruit Luke Brooks, whose past indiscretion had escaped public scrutiny for an incident in 2017.
‘Everything is alright. I’m just sorting out my visa. It’s up to the people in charge, so we’ll see what happens,” Brooks told reporters after his interview with US officials.