No time to die! James Bond publicity tour through China with Daniel Craig being scrapped due to coronavirus fears
- No Time to Die would have a star-studded premiere in Beijing in April
- But the publicity tour was canceled because China’s death toll rose to more than 1,600
- Around 70,000 cinemas have been closed with over 50 million residents locked up
- China represents a huge £ 6 billion share in the global film industry
The publicity tour of China’s latest James Bond movie has been canceled due to fear of the deadly corona virus.
No Time to Die had a premiere with stars in Beijing in April with Daniel Craig, who is making his last appearance as 007.
But when the death toll rose to more than 1,600 on Sunday, The Times reported that the lucrative publicity events scheduled for spring had been canceled.
Around 70,000 cinemas throughout China have been closed, while more than 50 million people have been locked up to control the infection.
No Time to Die had a premiere with stars in Beijing in April with Daniel Craig, who is making his last appearance as 007
It’s a huge blow to Universal Pictures, with China representing a huge market and contributing more than £ 6 billion to the film industry last year. Specter, who also played Craig, raised more than £ 60 million in 2015.
The latest Bond movie is expected to win the largest checkout ever, but it remains to be seen what impact the corona virus will have.
Daniel Craig fitted and started as 007 in No Time to Die
Cinemas will be closed until at least April, but even if they reopen on time, an insider in the studio said their doctors would not allow the publicity tour.
Hollywood is now looking forward to March 27 and the release of Mulan, the £ 200 million remake of Disney from his blockbuster animation of a Chinese legend. Disney has said they are “committed” to the release date in North America and Europe.
The coronavirus, presumably surfaced in a natural market in the central Chinese province of Hubei, has given the ruling Communist Party the enormous challenge of eradicating it while minimizing damage to the second largest economy in the world.
China’s latest figures showed 68,500 cases of the disease and 1,665 deaths, most in Hubei.
The National Health Commission reported 2,009 new cases on Sunday, against 2,641 the previous day, and 142 new deaths, only one lower than the 143 on the previous day. All new deaths were all but four in Hubei.
Workers wearing protective suits are preparing for departure after disinfecting a residential area in Beijing, China on Saturday
The province and its capital, Wuhan, have been virtually closed and closed since January 23, with schools, offices and factories closed and most journeys suspended.
The virus is believed to have an incubation period of 14 days, suggesting that it has spread since the block was imposed.
Outside of mainland China there have been around 500 cases in about two dozen countries and territories, with four deaths – in Japan, Chinese-ruled Hong Kong, the Philippines, and France.
The largest cluster outside of China has been quarantined on the Diamond Princess cruise ship for the Japanese Yokohama, with 70 more cases on Sunday, bringing the total to 355 of the approximately 3,700 passengers and crew on board.