A seemingly healthy nine-year-old boy from California died just a week after suffering from a cold caused by the adenovirus.
Last month, Tristan Ang, a black belt in Taekwondo, kicked, chopped and hit with the best of them.
Now his family warns that the signs of the adenovirus are so subtle that even Tristan & # 39; s destroyed parents – both nurses – did not realize how sick their son was.
In particular, aggressive virus strains, one of the main causes of the common cold, have cropped up more often in the United States and have claimed the lives of 11 children in New Jersey.
Usually the virus is only deadly for children with compromised immune systems, as was the case with most New Jersey children, but Tristan had been healthy and his family warned that it could happen to any child & # 39 ;, his mother, Belle, told KTVU.
Tristan Ang, nine, died from complications due to adenovirus cold just a few weeks after participating as a black belt in a national Taekwando competition
Only a week after his first symptoms – fever, headache and nausea that doctors first rejected as dehydration – Tristan's brain swelled out of control and the radiant, energetic child suddenly died in the ICU
On June 28, at the hospital near their home in Milpitas, California, a doctor said the last words every parent wants to hear: their son was dying.
Tristan was a healthy, active smile and had just participated in a national Taekwondo competition.
But a week later he was unusually tired and weak.
Soon his lethargy turned into fever, headache and nausea.
After all, he had been in a debilitating competition.
Belle and Mark – both nurses thought that with a little rest their son would be fine. They gave him Tylenol and Motrin to control his fever and mild symptoms.
When he did not seem to be improving, the Angs brought Tristan to the hospital, just to be sure.
The virus caused the brain of nine-year-old Tristan to fatally swell, a rare complication. Tristan & # 39; s heart stopped four times when he was in intensive care at his home in California before suddenly dying on June 28
His parents said that Tristan had always been active and healthy and had won many Taekwando medals, such as those from Stanford University
They were told that he was probably dehydrated and sent home.
But water and tranquility didn't help. Tristan even took a dramatic turn and became disoriented and so confused he could barely distinguish his own name.
Alarmed, Belle and Mark sent their descending son to the hospital as quickly as possible.
This time Tristan ended up in intensive care.
His brain swelled, but he was negative for meningitis.
Doctors told the Angs that their son had rare complications from a common cause of the common cold, adenovirus.
Adenovirus usually causes sore throat, congestion, cough and fever, and is also responsible for some cases of pink eye and ear infections.
Both Belle (left) and Mark (right) Ang are nurses, but say their son's symptoms were not like the cold. They are devastated by the sudden loss of Tristan
The nine-year-old is deeply saddened by a family and community that loves him and is in shock
Tristan had a fever, but his other symptoms did not line up.
& # 39; He didn't even have any signs of a cold, & # 39; said Mark.
Yet the mysterious virus killed his son.
Tristan quickly relaxed in front of their eyes. When his brain swelled, the rest of his body also began to fail in third grade.
His heart stopped four times in total.
& # 39; After the fourth time, Doctor Belle told him he was dying, & # 39; Mark said to NBC Bay Area.
& # 39; I know as a nurse. But as a father I don't want to believe it. & # 39;
Only three hours later their son was gone.
& # 39; He was exceptional … It's very unexpected, & # 39; Belle said with tears.
& # 39; (He was) very healthy, and then suddenly disappeared. & # 39;
She added: & # 39; Even the healthiest boy can die or get the virus quickly. & # 39;
. (TagsToTranslate) Dailymail (t) health (t) California