Advertisements
Nigel Benn has been forced to cancel his much-anticipated comeback fight against Sakio Bika

‘I’m heartbroken, I’ve had to call it off’: Nigel Benn, 55, cancels comeback against Sakio Bika due to shoulder injury three weeks before bout

  • Nigel Benn has been forced to call off his much-anticipated return to the ring 
  • The 55-year-old had sustained a shoulder injury before his bout with Sakio Bika 
  • Benn has cancelled the fight just three weeks before the Birmingham showdown
  • Ex-world middleweight champion has been absent from the sport for 23 years 
Advertisements

Nigel Benn has been forced to cancel his much-anticipated comeback fight against Sakio Bika after suffering a shoulder injury.

The former world middleweight and super-middleweight champion was set to return to the ring on November 23 following a 23-year absence from the sport.

But just three weeks before the bout, Benn has been robbed of the chance to take on Bika and admitted he had experienced issues with his shoulders last week.

Nigel Benn has been forced to cancel his much-anticipated comeback fight against Sakio Bika

Advertisements

Nigel Benn has been forced to cancel his much-anticipated comeback fight against Sakio Bika

The 55-year-old had been set to lock horns with his Cameroonian-Australian opponent across 10 rounds at the Resort World Arena in Birmingham.

But speaking to SunSport, Benn said: ‘I have been dreaming of a one-off fight for years and I’m heartbroken I’ve had to call it off.’

The injury is believed to have been picked up during a session at Matchroom Boxing’s gym. 

Benn had been building up to the showdown with a series of intense training camps, but recently sustained the setback that has scuppered his hopes of one final fight. 

Benn had initially retired in 1996 with an 83.3% knockout record before announcing his return

Benn had initially retired in 1996 with an 83.3% knockout record before announcing his return

Benn had initially retired in 1996 with an 83.3% knockout record before announcing his return

Advertisements

The legendary fighter’s hopes of a return had appeared left in tatters when the British Boxing Board of Control had refused to sanction it, before the British and Irish Boxing Authority intervened. 

His former manager Peter DeFreitas even admitted that he had feared for Benn’s health if he were to step back into the ring.

‘I haven’t said a word about Nigel in 23 years but now he’s fighting again it’s time to talk,’ DeFreitas told the Daily Star.

‘I’m talking because I’m concerned – I fear for his life.’