Newcastle boss Steve Bruce insists star striker Allan Saint-Maximin is NOT for sale

0

Newcastle boss Steve Bruce insists Allan Saint-Maximin is NOT for sale after winning suitors thanks to recent good form … with club unbeaten in four games since Frenchman recovered from groin injury

  • Allan Saint-Maximin has been in blistering form for Newcastle in recent weeks
  • He played in their last four games, which ended in two wins and two draws
  • His craftsmanship and trickery have earned him new admirers for the summer stall
  • But Magpies boss Steve Bruce is determined not to see his star man leave

Steve Bruce is determined to hold on to Newcastle star man Allan Saint-Maximin with his sizzling form that has alerted potential buyers to his burgeoning talent.

The 24-year-old Frenchman has played in the last four games of The Magpies after recovering from a groin injury, and they have won two – he scored the decisive goal in Burnley on April 11 – and drew the other two.

Saint-Maximin’s high-octane approach to his craft and the deceit he combines with it have earned him new admirers in his second season in the Premier League, but head coach Bruce has released a hands-off message about a man making a new, improved six-year deal last October.

Steve Bruce is determined to stick with Newcastle star man Allan Saint-Maximin

The Frenchman has played in the last four games of the Magpies, scoring in Burnley

The Frenchman has played in the last four games of the Magpies, scoring in Burnley

He said, “Look, the last thing we want to do is sell our best players. For Allan himself, he has to find a consistency, like in staying healthy and staying fit.

Covid hit him hard, but you can see when he plays and he plays injury-free, he is a special, special talent, who will of course inevitably attract attention.

“But the last thing we want to do is sell our better players.”

Saint-Maximin’s importance to Newcastle cannot be overstated – he played in seven of nine league wins this season – but has played just 20 games in 33 top matches so far due to a combination of injuries and the debilitating effects of the coronavirus. .

The 24-year-old's craftsmanship and deceit have earned him new admirers for the summer stall

The 24-year-old’s craftsmanship and deceit have earned him new admirers for the summer stall

Bruce said: ‘You only have to see him once to realize that he is a very, very talented football player.

“He’s got great talent, we understand that, but he has to find the consistency every great player needs and of course stay healthy.

Covid hit him very, very badly. For him to do nothing for over two months – not even get above a walk – it was difficult for everyone, especially him. ‘

Saint-Maximin’s most recent absence coincided with top scorer Callum Wilson, although the Englishman now has three appearances as a substitute and Bruce is confident he is ready to start on Sunday against Arsenal in St James’ Park.

But Magpies boss Steve Bruce is determined not to see his star man leave St James' Park

But Magpies boss Steve Bruce is determined not to see his star man leave St James’ Park

Signing loan Joe Willock, who has scored in each of his last three games after coming off the bench, doesn’t qualify against his mother club.

Bruce, who has made no secret of his desire to secure a permanent deal for the midfielder, said: “Everyone’s been talking about Joe Willock getting three out of three as a substitute. He has done very well for us as a young boy, a very young boy, and we are very happy with him. ‘

Willock’s chase by the former Manchester United defender may not be easy due to the impact of the coronavirus pandemic on the funds available to clubs this summer.

Bruce has also made no secret of his desire to secure a permanent deal for Joe Willock

Bruce has also made no secret of his desire to secure a permanent deal for Joe Willock

Advertisement

.