Newcastle boss Steve Bruce gets a reprieve as he prepares for his 1000th game as manager

Bruce fights on! Newcastle’s beleaguered boss is waiting for a reprieve as he prepares for his 1,000th game as manager this weekend – with the club’s new owners likely to put him in charge of the Spurs game, despite their plans to cut him short term to dismiss

  • Newcastle boss Steve Bruce is scheduled for Friday afternoon for the media
  • It was indicated that Bruce would be relieved of his duties this week
  • But it seems likely that he will stay next Sunday for his 1000th game
  • Bruce met director Amanda Staveley on the training ground on Monday











Steve Bruce is still facing the sack as Newcastle United manager, but it looks like he will be given a reprieve in what would be his 1,000th game in the dugout against Tottenham on Sunday.

It had been indicated that the 60-year-old would be relieved of his duties this week, as the club’s new owners feared his presence could negatively affect their first game.

But Bruce is scheduled to meet with the media on Friday afternoon and while sources were unable to confirm whether he will still be in charge for Spurs, it seems likely he will remain for now.

Newcastle’s Steve Bruce gets a reprieve as he prepares for his 1000th game as manager

We have been told that the new ownership model – led by Saudi Arabia’s Public Investment Fund and led on Tyneside by Amanda Staveley – is “process driven” and will be “methodical” in their approach.

However, sources say it would be wrong to accuse the consortium of ‘indecision’ and it’s more of a case of them doing things ‘right’, suggesting the situation is a slowdown rather than a change of heart.

Bruce met Staveley and her husband Mehrdad Ghodoussi on the training ground on Monday and had expected more contact over the course of the week.

But as of Thursday night, he was left in the dark about his future and the exact terms of his expected departure with an £8million payout still to be negotiated.

Bruce met new director Amanda Staveley and her husband Mehrdad Ghodoussi (pictured in St James' Park last week) at the training ground on Monday

Bruce met new director Amanda Staveley and her husband Mehrdad Ghodoussi (pictured in St James’ Park last week) at the training ground on Monday

The board’s football adviser, former Liverpool chief scout Frank McParland, has been at the club this week and is leading the search for Bruce’s replacement.

We have been informed that former Arsenal boss Unai Emery and Belgian manager Roberto Martinez are among the many names to have been part of the discussions, but both are said to have reservations.

Another name that is being put forward is that of ex-Roma boss Paulo Fonseca. Sources say there are concerns as he apparently interviewed poorly at Spurs over the summer, but it is clear that there have been some talks between the two sides in recent days.

.