Newcastle boss Eddie Howe CONFIRMS Alexander Isak will be out until December after a setback in his recovery from a thigh injury… and the club plans to give him a ‘mini pre-season’ during the World Cup break
- The Swedish striker is struggling to recover from a thigh problem
- Boss Eddie Howe said the injury was ‘frustrating’ for the club and the player
- Isak has made a good start to his Newcastle career after signing for £60m . came into service
Newcastle boss Eddie Howe has confirmed that Alexander Isak, with a record £60million, will be out until after the World Cup.
Sportsmail made an exclusive announcement earlier this week that the Swedish striker is likely to be banned until after the tournament in Qatar after he suffered a setback in his recovery from a thigh injury.
“We don’t think we’ll see him again before the World Cup. He’s had a setback on his thigh,” Howe told reporters ahead of Wednesday’s Premier League game against Everton.
Alexander Isak’s thigh injury will rule out the Swedish striker until after the World Cup in Qatar
Eddie Howe confirmed the club’s record £60m deal would not play again until after the tournament
“It’s very frustrating for him. As a new player coming to a new league and a new club you want to make an impact and he did that in the first few games.”
The news is a huge blow to Howe and the player, who has played just three times since his arrival from Real Sociedad in August. He scored on his Liverpool debut but felt a problem in his thigh while training with Sweden during the September international break.
Isak’s comeback bid was on track after ramping up his involvement with the Newcastle training ground early last week. But Newcastle’s medical staff must now determine the best course of treatment, given the risk of him having another recurrence.
Isak had a good start to his Premier League career before getting injured
“It was frustrating because he did a lot of work to get fit. He’s desperate to make his mark here,” Howe added.
“If you’re looking for something positive, we’re going to see if his injury can heal and we’ll get a mini pre-season to get him in top shape.”
Isak will miss Newcastle’s next six games, including those against Tottenham and Chelsea.
The World Cup kicks off on November 20 and the Premier League shutdown for the tournament kicks off a week earlier on November 13.
League matches will resume after the six-week break on December 26, although a round of Carabao Cup matches is scheduled for December 20 and 21.