New Zealand vs England LIVE SCORECARD: Joe Root’s new-look side elect to bat first in opening Test of two-match series at Mount Maunganui
- England begin their two-Test series against New Zealand on Wednesday
- It sees the beginning of a new era for England under Chris Silverwood
- Joe Root won the toss and elected to bat first on a sunny day at the Bay Oval
- Dom Sibley is earning his first cap opening the batting with Rory Burns
- New Zealand XI: Latham, Raval, Williamson, Taylor, Nicholls, de Grandhomme, Watling, Santner, Southee, Wagner, Boult
- England XI: Burns, Sibley, Denly, Root, Stokes, Pope, Buttler, S Curran, Archer, Leach, Broad
England’s new era under Chris Silverwood begins on Wednesday with the first of a two-Test series in New Zealand.
The opening Test match at Mount Maunganui sees Dominic Sibley earn his first cap, opening the batting alongside Rory Burns.
Jofra Archer will play his first Test match abroad for England, while Jos Buttler reclaims the gloves after Jonny Bairstow was dropped.
The England captain has admitted this winter marks the beginning of preparations for the next Ashes tour down under in two years’ time.
‘You want to utilise the next 25 Tests to make sure we go to Australia with all bases covered and in the best possible shape to win there,’ he said on Tuesday.
‘It’s married up nicely with Chris coming in as coach, and it does give that fresh feel to the next couple of years.
‘It’s a good chance to see where we’re at, and for us as a bowling group to be creative and do things slightly differently,’ he said.
‘To grow as a side, we have to come up with different ideas of how we’re going to get wickets when it does go flat. We have to try to create new angles, test out different parts of the batters’ techniques, and make it difficult for a batter to settle.’
Play begins at the Bay Oval at 22.00 GMT.