Nat Barr was shocked after discovering that murderers, rapists and child molesters released from immigration detention will be able to sue the government for millions after a High Court ruling.
The court’s finding that indefinite detention was unlawful overturned a 20-year-old legal precedent that directly affected 93 asylum seekers.
Many of them had been convicted of serious criminal offenses and had failed a character test or were considered a threat to national security, but for various reasons they could not be deported.
Seven News political editor Mark Riley told the Sunrise host that even the most evil asylum seekers released have the right to sue taxpayers for unlawful incarceration after the High Court ruled their detention was unconstitutional.
Three of those released are murderers, one of whom killed a pregnant woman in Malaysia, and another previously jailed for raping a 10-year-old boy in Sydney.
“The government cannot return these people to detention, at least until the High Court makes public last week the full reasons for this rather surprising decision,” he said.
“What are the repercussions,” Barr asked.
“There is a legal issue here regarding the actual findings of the High Court and the implications for hundreds of people in custody,” Mr Riley said. “If they too can now request to be released under this decision.
“There are refugee advocates and lawyers looking at this – and we will see the implications very quickly.
“The people who have now been released have the opportunity to sue the government and remember the government doesn’t have money, the taxpayers have money, so they can sue the taxpayers for million dollars for illegal incarceration.”
‘Really? How long have they been there? » Barr replied, visibly shocked.
“They now have the right under Australian law to sue taxpayers for millions of dollars in compensation,” Mr Riley responded.
“Murderers, rapists, child molesters, everyone else equal.” It’s the law,” he explained.
Barr responds by saying, “Wow. Including the pedophile who raped the 10 year old boy, the murderer, the rapist. It’s horrible.
Sunrise host Nat Barr was shocked after discovering that murderers, rapists and child molesters released from immigration detention will be able to sue the government for millions after the High Court ruled the last week that their detention was “illegal”.
The shock comes as Home Secretary Clare O’Neil introduces a series of tough new visa conditions for released detainees, including ankle tracking devices and curfews.
“If I had the legal authority to do so, I would keep every single one of these people in custody,” Ms. O’Neil said Thursday. “Some of these people have committed deplorable and disgusting crimes.”
“So for the people who were released, we didn’t want to let them out of detention, but we have a simple message for them,” she said.
“We will set you the strictest conditions possible. If you don’t follow them, you will end up in prison.
Nine of the 83 asylum seekers who have been admitted into the community are being housed in a western Sydney motel, paid for by taxpayers.
They will support themselves on at least $550 a fortnight from the Government’s Status Resolution Support service and will also benefit from free Medicare.
The Daily Mail Australia approached several residents of the western Sydney motel who were roaming freely on the grounds on Wednesday and were confronted with a series of abuses.
It is not suggested that all of those photographed are criminals or asylum seekers, just that they were all entering and leaving the motel on Wednesday.
A heavily tattooed man, wearing a singlet and rolling a cigarette, did not say whether he had been released, but made clear he did not wish to be questioned.
A resident of a Sydney motel where asylum seekers who were released from immigration detention after a High Court ruling abused Daily Mail Australia when approached on Wednesday. “Get out of here,” the man (above) shouted. ” What are you doing ?
When this young man was approached at the motel on Wednesday, he said, “I don’t want to talk to you.” Older man approached Daily Mail Australia and shouted torrent of insults
“Get out of here,” the man shouted. ” What are you doing ?
“Get out of this mess. I call the police. We are all innocents here. Why are you trying to talk to us? What are you doing?’
Two police officers had previously spent at least half an hour inside the motel, which can only be accessed with a magnetic card or after speaking with reception via an intercom.
Asked if she could comment on Villawood inmates, a woman behind the front desk said, “No, we can’t, thank you.”
A man who spent much of the day outside on his cell phone confirmed he had been detained, but twice refused to discuss his situation.
“I’m from Villawood,” he said. “I talk to the family. Afterwards, please.
Another young man walking around with his cell phone said, “I don’t want to talk to you.”
The opposition seized on the release of offenders, badgering the Immigration Minister in Parliament over whether taxpayers’ money was being used to house them after their release.
Immigration Minister Andrew Giles reiterated that the Commonwealth Government had opposed the release and that the High Court had ruled against the decision.
Mr Giles said money was being spent to provide ongoing monitoring of where some offenders were staying after their release.
“Our concern is maintaining the safety of the community, a critical element in some cases being having some control over where an individual lives,” he said.
Seven News political editor Mark Riley has revealed asylum seekers have the right to sue taxpayers for “millions” over unlawful incarceration after the High Court ruled their detention was unconstitutional (pictured, Anthony Albanese in Parliament on Wednesday)
Opposition Leader Peter Dutton accused the minister of not being prepared for the decision.
“If there was another option available – and I honestly believe there is – then they could have stopped these people from taking to the streets,” he told Sydney radio station 2GB.
Mr Giles said the Government had continued to consider “all regulatory and legislative options” but was hamstrung in its response because the reasons for the High Court’s decision had not yet been published.
The government sought advice in advance on options based on various outcomes of the court’s ruling, he added.
Mr Dutton said the minister needed to do “everything in the law to make sure you can stop these people going back onto the streets”.