Napoli confirm they will take legal action against THEIR OWN players as row over training retreat escalates with stars leaving their base and boss Carlo Ancelotti locked in talks with a chance he could quit or be sacked TODAY
Napoli are set to take legal action against their own players as the row over their training retreat escalated further on Wednesday.
Napoli’s players and manager Carlo Ancelotti are said to be in a furious stand-off with chairman Aurelio De Laurentiis which is threatening to engulf their season.
Ancelotti skipped his post-match media duties after Tuesday’s 1-1 draw with Red Bull Salzburg in the Champions League before he and his players reportedly refused to board a bus to a training retreat organised by De Laurentiis.
Napoli are set to take legal action against their own players as a behind the scenes row grows
The club released a statement on Wednesday afternoon saying: ‘The club announces that, with reference to the behaviour of the players yesterday, Tuesday November 5 2019, it will proceed to protect its rights on an economic, capital, image and disciplinary levels in every competent jurisdiction.
‘It is also made clear that the responsibility to decide on ordering days in a training retreat lies with coach Carlo Ancelotti.
‘A press silence has been ordered from now until a date yet to be decided.’
Ancelotti has previously indicated that he was against the idea of a training retreat, but the club’s statement puts the responsibility for it on his shoulders.
Napoli manager Carlo Ancelotti refused to carry out his post-match media duties
Napoli’s players were due to stay at their Castel Volturno training base until Saturday’s Serie A clash with Genoa but have now contacted their lawyers after returning home instead on Tuesday night.
Gazzetta dello Sport have reported that president De Laurentiis is holed up in the hotel suite at Castel Volturno and is in contact with his lawyers trying to decide what action to take against the mutineers.
He is expected to release a statement on Wednesday afternoon.
Reports in Italy have indicated that Ancelotti could walk out on Napoli or be sacked as soon as Wednesday.
Both Ancelotti and the players were put out after orders from De Laurentiis (left)
He has also been linked with a move to Boca Juniors in the Italian press.
De Laurentiis ordered the ‘ritiro’ – where a team is confined to a hotel or sometimes its own training base – on Monday following Saturday’s 2-1 defeat by Roma.
The ‘ritiro’ is a standard response to poor performances at Italian clubs although critics say it is outdated and makes highly-paid professional players look like misbehaving school children.
Ancelotti disagreed with the decision but initially said he accepted it. De Laurentiis told Naples-based Radio Kiss Kiss that his decision was not meant as a punishment. ‘It’s a chance for the team to get to know each other better,’ he said.
Ancelotti is understood to have travelled to the retreat hotel later on but was not joined by his players.
Former Tottenham striker Fernando Llorente, who was also required to speak to the media, also failed to turn up. UEFA will now fine Napoli for failing to fulfil their obligations.
Discontent has been bubbling under the surface at Napoli this season, with the club sitting seventh in Serie A after a run which has seen them win just one of their last five league matches.
Fernando Llorente also did not speak to the press following Napoli’s 1-1 draw with RB Salzburg