A mother has revealed how her baby died nearly twice after an allergy to pollen caused life-threatening asthma attacks.
Lottie Provis was found blue, lifeless and choked in her own vomit in her crib by her parents Kate, 26, and Steve, 31, when she was 18 months old in May 2015.
She was given hours to live when doctors could not put her in a medical coma because her airways were swollen so that the necessary tube could go down.
The doctors eventually succeeded in inserting the tube, with Lottie, now five, living in Cardiff, and then spending a week in an induced coma.
Thought she was free, Lottie was sent home just for a new deadly attack that would take place a month later. This time the youngster spent four weeks in a coma and another two weeks in a children's ward.
In the following year, Lottie was hospitalized nine times, before doctors finally made the connection between her symptoms and the time of year.
She manages her asthma every day with a steroid inhaler, but is & # 39; disease free & # 39; into the winter.
Lottie Provis (left) was found blue, lifeless and choked on her own vomit in her bed at just 18 months old. Doctors gave the younger four hours to live unless they could maneuver a tube over her swollen airways. They succeeded just in time and spent a week in a coma (right)
Lottie & # 39; s parents Kate and Steve (pictured together) describe the ordeal as & # 39; absolutely horrible & # 39;
Mrs. Provis, a police officer, claims that one morning in May 2015, her husband woke up at 3 am & # 39; Instinctively & # 39; knew he had to check Lottie.
& # 39; He shouted my name & # 39 ;, she told MailOnline. & # 39; I ran inside and Lottie was blue. She was also covered with nausea and vomiting, which made her choke. & # 39;
Looking back, Mrs. Provis believes that her husband – who works in a chemical plant – may have been awakened by the sound of their daughter's gagging.
As her husband panicked, Mrs. Provis – who is also the mother of seven-month-old Florence – knew that she had to stay calm.
& # 39; I went somewhere else, & # 39; she said. & # 39; I knew I had to call 999. I sang the Barney theme song and tried to wake her up, but her eyes looked back. & # 39;
Paramedics arrived in minutes and gave Lottie oxygen and a nebulizer – a device that allows an asthma to breathe in a mist of medication to open its airways.
& # 39; They told me to keep talking to her because she responded to my voice, & # 39; said Mrs. Provis. & # 39; It was absolutely horrible. It was the worst I have ever experienced. & # 39;
Lottie & # 39; s father & # 39; instinctively & # 39; woke up at 3 o'clock at night on the night of the ordeal and knew he had to check for his then-baby daughter (left). She still needs nebulizers to open her airways (right)
After & # 39; recovering & # 39; to be her first episode, Lottie was sent home, but turned blue again a month later. This time she spent four weeks in an induced coma and another two in a children's ward
Lottie & # 39; s parents noticed that she had severe chest infections in the summer, but she was doing fine in the winter. However, it took doctors more than a year to diagnose her with seasonal asthma
WHAT IS ASTMA?
Asthma is a common but incurable condition that affects the small tubes in the lungs.
It can cause them to become inflamed or swollen, limiting the airways and making breathing more difficult.
The condition affects people of all ages and often starts in childhood. Symptoms may improve or even disappear as children get older, but may return to adulthood.
Symptoms include wheezing, shortness of breath, tight chest and cough, and these can get worse during an asthma attack.
Treatment usually includes medication that is inhaled to calm the lungs.
Triggers for the condition are allergies, dust, air pollution, exercise and infections such as the cold or flu.
If you think you or your child have asthma, you should go to a doctor as this may develop into more serious complications such as fatigue or lung infections.
Lottie was rushed to University Hospital Wales (UHW), Cardiff, where things went from bad to worse.
& # 39; Doctors said they had to put a snake in her throat to put her in an induced coma, & # 39; said Mrs. Provis.
& # 39; But her windpipe was closed due to her asthma. & # 39;
Mrs. Provis later discovered from her mother that doctors had given Lottie only four hours to live.
& # 39; I'm so glad I didn't know at the time & # 39 ;, said Ms. Provis.
Fortunately, a specialist doctor was called and managed to maneuver the tube through her airways.
After more than 24 hours in the hospital, the parents were sent home the following evening and told to go to sleep.
But instead of having time to relax, the couple & # 39; woke up at night with more devastating messages.
& # 39; At 3 o'clock & # 39; In the morning we had the message that Lottie needed emergency surgery to get the & # 39; gunk & # 39; from her lungs when they collapsed completely, & Mrs. Provis told MailOnline.
& # 39; It felt like a haze. The whole situation was unimaginable. & # 39;
The operation was performed while the young person was in an induced coma, where she stayed for a week.
Lottie then suffered another setback when she had an allergic reaction to her morphine, which meant that she had to stay in the hospital for another seven days.
Mrs. Provis (pictured left with Lottie as a baby) & # 39; discourages summer & # 39; and worries about what might happen if she's not there. The young person (pictured on the right with her father) is in school and & # 39; is doing well & # 39;
Believing the worst was over, the parents were finally allowed to take Lottie home, but they had to watch her.
During a vacation to Center Parcs, a month later, the family sang in the car when Mrs. Provis noticed that her daughter was unusually quiet.
& # 39; I looked back and she had turned blue again, & # 39; she said.
Lottie was quickly returned to UHW, where doctors revealed that she had not been in the coma long enough to recover from her last episode.
The youngster was therefore induced again, this time for four weeks, before spending another two weeks in a children's ward.
Doctors initially thought that Lottie would have cystic fibrosis, but the tests clearly returned.
Confused as to what caused her symptoms, doctors prescribed the young steroid tablets and antibiotics for the following year. However, she went back to the hospital nine times.
It took until 2016 for doctors to make the connection between Lottie's symptoms and the time of year, her parents pointing out that she flared up in the summer.
The young person was diagnosed with seasonal asthma, which she monitors every day in the summer with a steroid inhaler, but does not need it in the winter.
Since the ordeal, Lottie has become a big sister of seven-month-old Florence (see pictured left). The family is pictured and enjoy a break at Disneyland Paris
Although Lottie's condition is under control, Mrs. Provis admits she fears & # 39; the summer & # 39 ;.
& # 39; I just think what could happen, & # 39; she said. & # 39; She's in school and doing very well, but I'm always worried about what might happen if I'm not there. & # 39;
Mrs. Provis spoke out to raise awareness of her daughter's condition. & # 39; I have seen how terrible asthma can be & # 39 ;, she said.
& # 39; It's not just cold, it's really very serious. & # 39;
Mr. Provis is organizing the London Marathon this year in the hope of collecting £ 800 for Asthma UK.
Write on his JustGiving page, he said: & # 39; Without the help of both the Children & # 39; s Ward at Cardiff Heath Hospital and Asthma UK, we would not have our daughter with us today.
& # 39; I would like to politely ask you to help me raise money for this fantastic goal and to help save more lives like my daughter. & # 39;
. (TagsToTranslate) Dailymail (t) health