Mother of two, Indiana, 26, almost lost her leg to a deadly bacterial infection during vacation

An Indiana woman said she nearly lost her leg after contracting a deadly bacterial infection during her vacation.

Advertisements

Taylor Bryant, 26, from Indianapolis was on a family trip with her husband and two children to Pigeon Forge, Tennessee in March 2018, when she began to feel pain and cramp in her right lower leg.

In the course of the following days, it started to swell and develop a rash, and in the end it was so painful that she couldn't stand on it.

Bryant was admitted to the hospital, where he was diagnosed with cellulite, a serious bacterial infection that, if left untreated, could turn into the carnivorous disease that causes necrotizing fasciitis.

Doctors believe that Bryant, a FedEx trucker, contracted the infection from a hot tub and the mother of two says she now wants to warn others that it can happen to them.

Taylor Bryant, 26 (photo), from Indianapolis, Indiana, developed rash and pain in her right leg during a family vacation to Pigeon Forge, Tennessee in March 2019

She visited an emergency care clinic and her doctor, who both described a ten-day antibiotic treatment to her. Pictured: Bryant, left, with one of her children,

She visited an emergency care clinic and her doctor, who both described a ten-day antibiotic treatment to her. Pictured: Bryant, left, with one of her children,

Advertisements

Taylor Bryant, 26, from Indianapolis, Indiana, developed a rash and pain in her right leg during a family vacation to Pigeon Forge, Tennessee in March 2019. She visited an emergency clinic and her family doctor, both of whom described a 10-day regimen of antibiotics. Pictured: Bryant, left, and with one of her children, right

After her leg rash and swelling only got worse, she was referred to a wound doctor, who told her that she might need skin transplants or an amputation. Pictured: Bryant & # 39; s infected leg

After her leg rash and swelling only got worse, she was referred to a wound doctor, who told her that she might need skin transplants or an amputation. Pictured: Bryant & # 39; s infected leg

After her leg rash and swelling only got worse, she was referred to a wound doctor, who told her that she might need skin transplants or an amputation. Pictured: Bryant & # 39; s infected leg

It was about three days in the family vacation in Pigeon Forge – a mountain town known for its proximity to national forests and parks – that Bryant woke up feeling sick.

& # 39; I have orange juice to get something in my stomach, but I got sicker & # 39 ;, she told DailyMail.com.

Bryant's husband, Chris, took their children while she stayed at the hotel to rest.

The next day, she visited a local emergency care clinic after feeling pain in her right lower leg and seeing a slight rash develop.

Advertisements

& # 39; I was still in PJ & # 39; s when I entered, I was like a hot mess inside, & # 39; she joked.

& # 39; They told me that I probably had an infection and that I had to go home to see my doctor. & # 39;

She was given one antibiotic by the emergency care clinic and another by her doctor for 10 days – but her leg did not improve.

& # 39; You could see all the blisters coming up with pus underneath, and then they started running away, & # 39; Bryant said.

Bryant saw an infection specialist who recommended to be hospitalized so that she could be started on IV antibiotics. Pictured: Bryant & # 39; s infected leg

Bryant saw an infection specialist who recommended to be hospitalized so that she could be started on IV antibiotics. Pictured: Bryant & # 39; s infected leg

Advertisements

Bryant saw an infection specialist who recommended to be hospitalized so that she could be started on IV antibiotics. Pictured: Bryant & # 39; s infected leg

She was diagnosed with cellulite, a bacterial skin infection that, if left untreated, can develop into the carnivorous disease necrotizing fasciitis. Pictured: Bryant & # 39; s infected leg

She was diagnosed with cellulite, a bacterial skin infection that, if left untreated, can develop into the carnivorous disease necrotizing fasciitis. Pictured: Bryant & # 39; s infected leg

She was diagnosed with cellulite, a bacterial skin infection that, if left untreated, can develop into the carnivorous disease necrotizing fasciitis. Pictured: Bryant & # 39; s infected leg

After the antibiotics did not work, the mother of two was referred to a wound doctor.

& # 39; She watched it for two to three minutes and then said: & # 39; I'm going to call my infection doctor & # 39 ;, Bryant said.

Advertisements

The infection specialist confirmed that Bryant had a & # 39; bad & # 39; had and had to be admitted to the hospital to receive IV antibiotics.

Bryant said that at one point she was afraid she would lose her leg.

& # 39; My husband spoke to the wound doctor and he said, "How serious are we talking? Surgery, amputation, skin transplantation?"

& # 39; And the wound doctor said, "There is no knowing." To be honest, I cried so much. I was very nervous about the outcome of being 26, being the mother of two young children and losing part of my body. & # 39;

She was released after four days at St Francis Hospital in Indianapolis, where doctors diagnosed her with cellulite.

Advertisements

Cellulite is a bacterial skin infection that occurs when a crack or break in the skin causes bacteria to enter the body.

It usually affects the lower legs, but can also occur in the face and arms, according to the Mayo Clinic.

Bryant was treated at St Francis Hospital for four days before being released. Pictured: Bryant with her husband

Bryant was treated at St Francis Hospital for four days before being released. Pictured: Bryant with her husband

The infection, which doctors believe Bryant had contracted from a hot tub, was erased after two weeks of antibiotics. Pictured: Bryant with her husband

The infection, which doctors believe Bryant had contracted from a hot tub, was erased after two weeks of antibiotics. Pictured: Bryant with her husband

Bryant was treated at St Francis Hospital for four days before being released. The infection, which doctors think was contracted from a bubble bath, was erased after two weeks of antibiotics. Pictured, left and right: Bryant with her husband

Currently, Bryant puts ointment on her wound twice a day and wears compression socks. Pictured: Bryant & # 39; s infected leg

Currently, Bryant puts ointment on her wound twice a day and wears compression socks. Pictured: Bryant & # 39; s infected leg

Currently, Bryant puts ointment on her wound twice a day and wears compression socks. Pictured: Bryant & # 39; s infected leg

Symptoms include red skin that feels warm, swelling, pain, blisters, pus and fever.

If left untreated, the infection can spread throughout the body and cause life-threatening complications, even developing into the carnivorous disease necrotizing fasciitis.

Approximately two in every 1,000 people have cellulite in the lower leg in the US every year, according to a 2014 study from the University of Washington.

Advertisements

Photos show black dead tissue falling from her skin and pus flowing away while the blister rose on her leg.

After two weeks of antibiotics, the infection was considered to be removed from her body.

Currently, Bryant puts ointment on her wound twice a day and wears compression socks.

Last week she was back to work for the first time and she said she still feels some tension in her leg when she stands up for hours.

& # 39; My skin is not the same and still has a huge color change, & # 39; she said. & # 39; I'm lucky that I still have my leg, but more lucky that I'm still here today. & # 39;

Advertisements

. (TagsToTranslate) Dailymail (t) health

- Advertisement -