Mother accused of murdering seven-year-old son after ‘beating him for months’ while stepfather watched
Mother, 24, accused of murdering her seven-year-old son after ‘beating him for months’ when stepfather, 37, who witnessed the ‘serious abuse’, is accused of endangering children
- Oneida Maldonado-Cortez, 24, is charged with the murder of her son Fabian
- Police in Columbus, Ohio, responded to a call about a drowning child on Saturday night and discovered that the boy was not responding
- He was rushed to a hospital in critical condition and died soon after
- An investigation found that Fabian had undergone ‘serious abuse’ leading to his death
- Police say his mother Maldonado-Cortez admitted to beating him several times
- Fabian’s stepfather, Jose Santos, was also arrested for endangering children
- Santos, 37, told investigators that he had seen his wife Fabian beat for months, but was too scared to report it to the police
An Ohio mother has been accused of murdering her seven-year-old son after admitting to beating the child for months while his stepfather watched and did nothing.
Columbus police responded to a call about a drowning child on Saturday evening and arrived to find the boy, Fabian Maldonado Cortez, who was unresponsive.
The child was rushed to Nationwide Children’s Hospital in critical condition and was pronounced dead shortly thereafter.
An investigation found that Fabian was “subjected to serious abuse” leading to his death, police said.
His mother, 24-year-old Oneida Maldonado-Cortez, was arrested for murder after admitting to beating the child multiple times and not taking him to hospital, according to documents filed with Franklin County Municipal Court.
Fabian’s stepfather, 37-year-old Jose Santos, was also arrested and charged with endangering children.
Oneida Maldonado-Cortez (left), 24, was charged with the murder of her seven-year-old son Fabian after admitting to beating the child repeatedly. Fabian’s stepfather, 37-year-old Jose Santos (right), was also arrested for endangering children
Santos is said to have admitted having witnessed his wife Fabian defeat for several months with various objects.
He said he was too scared to call the police or get help because he didn’t want the mother to go to jail, court documents said.
Fabian was found to have several wounds and cuts on his body.
Maldonado-Cortez and Santos have been jailed in Franklin County jail and will appear at bond hearings on Tuesday.
Police asked anyone with information on the case to call the Columbus Police Homicide Unit at 614-645-4730 or Central Ohio Crime Stoppers at 614-461-TIPS (8477).
Fabian was found unresponsive in this Columbus, Ohio home on Saturday night. He was rushed to hospital in a critical condition and died soon after