Mother accused of injecting feces into son is cleared of poisoning years later

0

Mother accused of injecting feces into young son is SOUGHT of poisoning six years after she was first charged – before making an emotional plea for her four children out of court

  • A mother accused of injecting feces into her son’s bloodstream was purified
  • The 39-year-old now plans to regain shared custody of her four children
  • It was suggested that her nine-year-old son had originally had a bacterial infection
  • The judge ruled that there was not enough evidence to prove that stool had been injected
  • The defense attorney said the mother “almost lost her mind” during the case

A mother has been cleared of poisoning her son with feces after enduring a six-year legal ordeal sparked by the suspicions of a single doctor.

The 39-year-old Blue Mountains woman will now try to regain shared custody of her four children, who have been removed from her care over the charge.

“I just want my kids to know Mom isn’t a bad person,” the woman told AAP after the NSW court found her not guilty Tuesday.

“I just want to get them back.”

The mother of four accused of injecting feces into her son has said she wants her children back after she was cleared of poisoning her son

The mother of four accused of injecting feces into her son has said she wants her children back after she was cleared of poisoning her son

Pediatrician David Isaacs expressed concern about the mother who injected her son with stool in 2014, after a blood sample tested positive for e.coli and another bacteria found in the gut.

The boy, then nine years old, had been admitted to Westmead Children’s Hospital for asthma, but then developed symptoms suggestive of a bacterial infection.

Nurses heard the boy say, “Mom, what are you trying to put in my cannula?” when one of them checked the IV three days before the sample was taken.

The next day he heard shouting ‘why are you doing this, are you poisoning me?’ when his mother was in the room.

Previous blood and urine samples were sterile.

Dr. Isaacs thought it was very likely that the bacteria had been deliberately introduced into the boy’s bloodstream and was concerned that the woman had an artificial disorder formerly known as Munchausen syndrome.

When he was cross-examined during the week-long trial, he told the court that he had previously missed a case of the condition.

“If I misunderstand, the child dies,” he said during a cross-examination.

“I missed it once in my life and the child died and the mother told me afterwards what she did with that child, and I will never miss it again if I can help it.”

Another expert witness, microbiologist Bernie Hudson, told the court that the blood culture may have been contaminated in the lab or when it was taken.

Prosecutor Lou Lungo admitted in closing the documents on Friday that the charges cannot be proven beyond a reasonable doubt.

“Because of the tragic loss of that child’s life many years ago, (Dr. Isaacs) was super vigilant … and maybe Your Honor would find that clouded his opinion,” Mr. Lungo said.

There was not enough evidence to prove that feces had been injected into the boy, or that the mother did it, NSW court judge Justin Smith ruled Tuesday.

The boy was only 9 years old when he was hospitalized and his mother was accused of poisoning him

The boy was only 9 years old when he was hospitalized and his mother was accused of poisoning him

The boy was only 9 years old when he was hospitalized and his mother was accused of poisoning him

The son had been delirious and confused in the hospital and had repeatedly denied to police that his mother had poisoned him.

The woman cried when the judge told her she was free to go.

“All that was addressed in this case is gross injustice against the accused for more than six and a half years,” said the woman’s lawyer, Pauline David, out of court.

‘She has lost her children … She has lost financially … She has lost her ability to work as a nurse in her profession. And she almost lost her mind too. ‘

In a statement from her attorney, the woman criticized Dr. Isaacs for his accusation.

“Other obvious innocent explanations for the positive blood cultures were ignored and never investigated,” she said.

The mother told AAP that the “ horrific ” experience caused her to have a complete nervous breakdown and spend months in a mental health ward where she underwent 20 courses of electro-convulsive therapy.

She no longer trusts doctors or hospitals.

She had only been able to interact with her children for the past six months and had missed their formative years, she said.

“Now I just want to focus on seeing my kids,” she said.

Advertisement