Shocking moment when maintenance workers are forced to jump into the river when a boat EXPLODES – leaves a man, 19, with severe burns
- A 38-meter Mustang boat caught fire in southern Sydney on Friday morning
- The fuel leak forced two maintenance workers to jump into the George’s River
- A 19-year-old man suffered severe burns to his face, legs, hands and chest
Two maintenance workers were forced to jump into a river when a boat caught fire, leaving a teenager with serious burns.
A fuel leak caused the 38-meter Mustang boat to ignite on the George’s River in Blakehurst, south Sydney, on Friday morning.
The 19-year-old maintenance worker caught fire and the two men jumped into the water around 10.20 a.m., 9News reported.
Paramedics (photo) were called to Blakehurst, south Sydney, on Friday morning after a 38-meter Mustang boat caught fire with two maintenance workers on board
An NSW Ambulance spokesperson told Daily Param Australia that paramedics treated the man for severe burns to his face, chest, hands, legs, and possible respiratory burns.
He was taken to Concord Hospital in serious condition.
Paramedics also treated two men for smoke inhalation and one was transported to St. George Hospital in a stable condition.
The boat’s owner, Ross McNamara, said he had undergone regular maintenance.
Mr. McNamara explained, “Every 12 months we get the boats refurbished and unfortunately, moving some fuel, it seems, caused a spark.”
“Unfortunately, there is an incident where someone was injured,” he said.
The two men were forced to jump into the George’s River after the boat (pictured) caught fire due to a fuel leak
Firefighters controlled the fire within minutes, but the boat was completely destroyed and started to sink due to the damage.
The lanes in a northerly direction on the Princes Highway were closed while the emergency crews took care of the burning boat.
Mr. McNamara said he expected the claims to be “well over $ 100,000.”
The boat will be towed ashore for insurers on Saturday.
A 19-year-old maintenance worker caught fire when the boat ignited (photo) and suffered severe burns to his face, legs, hands, and chest