Shocking moment Mexican taxi explodes in flames as driver checks engine problem and passengers are forced to flee
- A surveillance camera captured the moment a taxi caught fire while the driver checked an engine problem in Oaxaca, Mexico
- The driver was warned that petrol had spilled from his vehicle and stopped to check what was going on
- Moments after he lifts the hood, the fuel catches light and causes an explosion
- The man is seen jumping back and away from the car de
- Three women who were in the back seat are then seen jumping out of the vehicle and running down the street
Surveillance camera images captured the moment a taxi exploded in flames while the driver checked for an engine problem – forcing him to dive for safety and three passengers to flee.
The video was shot on Saturday in a street in the city of Santa Cruz Xoxocotlán, in the southwestern Mexican state of Oaxaca.
A pedestrian warns the driver of a puddle of liquid – resembling gasoline – under his vehicle.
The driver starts to accelerate away, but then seems to hesitate and stops the car for an inspection.
But moments after he lifts the hood to check the engine, the spilled fuel ignites and bursts into flames.
The engine caught fire just after the driver opened the hood to inspect the vehicle
Passengers flee the burning taxi moments after the driver opened the hood to inspect the engine
He quickly slams the hood as the flames spread, narrowly avoiding being swallowed himself before ducking away from the car.
Moments later, we see three women sitting in the back seat jump out of the vehicle and run away.
The front half of the car immediately caught fire, but a man got out of the store with a fire extinguisher to put out the fire.
The driver then returned to the vehicle and appeared to remove some of his personal belongings.
The three passengers and the driver did not appear to be injured.
The driver noticed the spilled petrol on the ground before inspecting the engine, which later caught fire
A man stepped out of a store in Oaxaca, Mexico, and used a fire extinguisher to extinguish the flames