Mom talks about son’s harrowing phone call after he was shot at rap concert in Miami-Dade

0

A mother has told how she received the “worst phone call of my life” from her son, who was shot during a rap concert by three gunmen who “randomly” fired a hundred shots into the crowd.

Two people were killed and at least 25 injured when the three gunmen jumped from an SUV and opened fire at El Mula Banquet Hall in northwest Miami-Dade in the early hours of Sunday morning.

Angelica Green shared how she waited impatiently outside a South Florida hospital for hours on Sunday for information about her 24-year-old son, who had been shot in the abdomen.

“He told us that if anything happens to him, he loves us,” she said NBC Miami. ‘We said,’ We love you too, but you’re going to survive this. ‘

Her son attended the concert with her husband and cousin, she told reporters, but did not name them.

Her husband was unharmed, but her cousin was shot four times.

Angelica Green shared how she received a call early on Sunday from her 24-year-old son telling her and her husband that he was on his way to a local hospital for gunshot wounds.

Angelica Green shared how she received a call from her 24-year-old son early Sunday and told her and her husband that he was on his way to a local hospital for gunshot wounds.

The shooting took place in a party room rented for a rapper's birthday

The shooting took place in a banquet hall rented out for a rapper’s birthday

Her husband told him to “stay with us,” she said.

“He’s not a statistic,” Green said CNN from her son. ‘He graduated from university last year. So he is trained. He was going out with his cousin just to celebrate the weekend, and they hadn’t joined the club yet. ‘

She said her 24-year-old cousin was also shot, she said, and suffered “ pretty big wounds. ”

Two others died in the party room shooting, where a local rapper was celebrating his birthday. At least 25 people were injured.

More than 12 victims have been transferred to six different hospitals in the Miami-Dade and Broward County area, and three are in critical condition, with two currently on livelihood, Miami-Dade police director Alfredo “Freddy” Ramirez said. ABC news Sunday afternoon.

More than 12 victims were taken to six different hospitals in the area

More than 12 victims were taken to six different hospitals in the area

Relatives have waited hours outside for information about their loved ones

Family members waited outside for hours on end for information about their loved ones

At one point, the family members formed a prayer circle outside the hospital

At one point, the family members formed a prayer circle outside the hospital

The attack appeared to be targeted, police say, and they are now scrubbing through surveillance footage from the outside of the banquet hall in an attempt to identify the three suspects who opened fire at the rap concert.

Police said the three suspects stopped early Sunday morning at the El Mula Banquet Hall, which was rented out for a local rapper’s birthday party, in a white Nissan Pathfinder and waited outside for about 40 minutes before opening fire. leave.

Armed with assault rifles and pistols, Ramirez said, and fled the scene. The police were still looking for the SUV on Sunday evening.

They asked community help to identify and arrest the gunmen, met American businessman and philanthropist Marcus Lemonis tweeted that he will contribute $ 100,000 for information leading to the arrest and arrest of the gunmen.

Anyone with information about this incident is urged to contact CrimeStoppers at (305) 471-TIPS (8477) or (866) 471-8477.

Police Director Alfredo Ramirez III said he believes the attack was targeted, and police are now looking for the suspects and their white SUV, which they used to flee the scene.

Police Director Alfredo Ramirez III said he believes the attack was targeted, and police are now looking for the suspects and their white SUV, which they used to flee the crime scene.

Authorities said they have collected about 100 bullet casings from the scene, where, according to police, some partygoers fired back.

“I am at the scene of another targeted and cowardly act of gun violence, in which more than 20 victims were shot and 2 unfortunately died,” tweeted Police Director Alfredo “Freddy” Ramirez III.

“These are cold-blooded killers firing blindly into a crowd and we will seek justice. My deepest condolences to the families of the victims. ‘

Miami Police Chief Art Acevedo called on the justice system to “throw the book” at criminals caught with illegal firearms.

“ Most (of) these cowardly misfits are not afraid of death, they do fear lengthy prison sentences, ” Acevedo tweeted Sunday morning.

“Firearms belong in the hands of law-abiding Americans of a healthy kind, more (I must) do to keep them out of the wrong hands.”

Two people were dead at the shooting site and three are in critical condition

Two people were dead at the scene of the shooting and three are in critical condition

Police found nearly 100 shell casings from outside the banquet hall, where partygoers shot back at the three suspects

Police found nearly 100 shell casings from outside the banquet hall, where partygoers shot back at the three suspects

Acevedo called for “serious jail time” for anyone caught using a firearm while committing a crime.

He also called on Congressmen to “ get out of their own corner – left and right – and get to the center of where most Americans are ” in tackling gun violence. CBS ‘Face the Nation’ Sunday.

“We need universal background checks, we need to make breaking into these licensed gun shops a federal crime with mandatory sentencing, and we need the federal government and both sides to address this issue,” he said, “because without legislation, without Certainly when it comes to holding these criminals accountable, we will never get through this summer with much more death and destruction. ‘

The mass shooting on Sunday morning was the second to take place in Miami this weekend.

On Friday, one person was killed and six others were injured in a drive-by shooting.

.