Mom Shares Disgust After Her Six-Year-Old Daughter Accidentally Eats a WEED GUMMY

0

A Florida mom warns parents how easy it is for kids to accidentally overdose on marijuana after her own six-year-old daughter found a family friend’s THC gummy and—given the kid-friendly packaging—eaten it.

Morgan McCoy, 39, shared the story of “one of the scariest moments of my life” on Facebook last week, explaining how her child managed to find the legally purchased marijuana gummy tucked away in a drawer of clothes.

Morgan soon found her little girl unresponsive and clutching and, after a frantic ambulance ride, spent the night by her hospital bed.

Now the concerned mom is demanding regulations on legal marijuana packaging, stressing that “my daughter wouldn’t have looked twice” had the bag not been purposefully designed to look like a Hawaiian Punch-flavored treat.

Dangerous: A six-year-old Florida daughter found a family friend’s THC gummy and — given the kid-friendly packaging — ate it and sent her to the hospital

Morgan McCoy, 39, shared the story of 'one of the scariest moments of my life' on Facebook last week

Morgan McCoy, 39, shared the story of ‘one of the scariest moments of my life’ on Facebook last week

Morgan’s story describes how marijuana gummies can be legally purchased and carefully hidden and still end up in children’s stomachs.

She, her husband and their children visited her in-laws in Jacksonville over Memorial Day weekend, and were joined by several other friends and their families.

“We are a group of legal medical marijuana patients. As far as I know, not one iota of this product has been bought illegally. I’ve never seen it before,” she emphasized.

A friend of the family stayed with her in-laws in the room where Morgan and her children usually sleep when they visit.

That friend, who has two children of his own, had taken an unexpected, fully clothed swim in the pool, carrying a bag with a gummy in their pocket.

When they wanted to change their wet clothes, they put them – and the gummy – in a bag in their room’s chest of drawers.

Unfortunately, six-year-old Morgan found it there.

“My daughter’s sweetie went looking for HER clothes as this is the room she normally stays in,” Morgan wrote. “She came across the bag and, like any 6-year-old would… She ate the candy.”

Scary: Her daughter was found unresponsive and grabbing and had to be rushed to hospital by ambulance, where she spent the night

Scary: Her daughter was found unresponsive and grabbing and had to be rushed to hospital by ambulance, where she spent the night

Attractive: Morgan says her daughter wouldn't have eaten it if it didn't look so kid-friendly

Attractive: Morgan says her daughter wouldn’t have eaten it if it didn’t look so kid-friendly

Several hours passed and nothing seemed to be happening – until another parent sounded the alarm.

“Suddenly the parent came out and told me my daughter might have taken a THC gummy,” Morgan said.

“I ran in and calmly picked her up and moved her from the floor to the couch. She couldn’t open her eyes, she didn’t respond at all and when I put her down she braced herself as if she felt like she was falling.

“I turned and yelled for my MIL to call 911… she asked if she was okay, and when I turned, she was on her knees grabbing. I grabbed her and ran out and just walked back and forth waiting for the ambulance to arrive (crying uncontrollably and calling to God of course).’

Morgan spent the night with her daughter in the hospital, where doctors could only monitor her and give her fluids.

“I was up all night with my husband looking at those machines. Her breaths per minute sometimes dropped to a few digits, and on others her heart rate skyrocketed to alarming levels,” she said.

“It was one of the scariest moments of my life and I never want another parent to go through that. The next one might not be so lucky.’

While deadly marijuana overdoses are “unlikely,” according to the CDC, overdoses are entirely possible and can include symptoms of anxiety, paranoia, panic, rapid heart rate, delusions or hallucinations, elevated blood pressure, and severe nausea or vomiting.

Warning: She pointed out similar Faded Fruits products, like this cotton candy flavored gummy, which has colorful, childlike packaging

Warning: She pointed out similar Faded Fruits products, like this cotton candy flavored gummy, which has colorful, childlike packaging

Morgan went on to say she wanted to be “lavishly clear” that she didn’t think the parent who had the gummy had done anything wrong — and that it could happen to anyone.

Her problem is with the packaging for the gummies, which doesn’t make it clear enough that it contains drugs and is far too appealing to children.

“No one was arrested, DCF solved the case in 3 minutes and was shocked by the photo of the candy,” she said. “If the packaging had been what it should have been and not these bulls***, my daughter wouldn’t have looked at it twice.”

She continued: ‘Regulations need to be put in place to prevent companies from marketing this kind of thing. We have no federal regulations on marijuana because our government will not legalize it. ‘

Morgan called government representatives, including Florida Senator Rick Scott, Florida Governor Ron DeSantis and Florida Senator Marco Rubio, as well as the Bureau of Consumer Protection, the California Atty General, the U.S. Attorney General, the U.S. Department of Agriculture and the Florida Department of Health .

“Every agency I got hold of today pointed me elsewhere. NOBODY is responsible for this?!?!?!’ she wrote.

Similar!  She called for all packaging to be more clearly marked as drugs and not attractive to children, like this like

Similar! She called for all packaging to be more clearly marked as drugs and not attractive to children, like this like

“Regulations need to be in place to prevent companies from marketing this kind of thing,” she said

She also noted that the company that makes the Hawaiian Punch-flavored gummies, Faded Fruits, makes similar flavors with fun packaging like Cotton Candy and Sour Patch Kids.

“In my view, this company is not only guilty of negligence, but also endangering children on a national scale. And so will our country if we sit idly by,” she said. ‘THC is a MEDICINE and must be packaged as such. Period of time.’

Speaking with the Today show, Morgan added: “If we’ve packaged marijuana like candy, kids are much more likely to eat it than if it’s packaged like medication, and that’s what it is.”

“It’s a drug and all of our drugs are packaged in child-resistant stuff, even vitamins and Kindertylenol.”

“Every adult I showed it to said, ‘I would have eaten that.’ I really think it has to do with this packaging. If I see candy, I’ll eat it when I’m six years old.’

Since her story went viral, Morgan tells DailyMail.com that three parents reached out to share similar experiences, including one whose 18-month-old toddler mistook cannabis candy for regular candy and spent three days in the ICU.

DailyMail.com has reached out to Faded Fruits for comment.

.