A former child protection officer who has become a mother of four has given a sharp warning to other parents after her son nearly lost his toes when a lock of hair was wrapped around them, putting her at risk of being investigated by authorities.
Jill Mraidi, of Orlando, Florida, opened up about the trauma her family was experiencing after her then four-month-old son Qasim fell victim to a condition known as Tourniquet syndrome – which happens as a result of her circulation hair stops blood.
The 46-year-old was horrified after discovering the damage to her son’s foot after a strand of her own hair wrapped around three of his toes in his sock – and she now shares her story hoping to raise awareness enlarge among other parents.
Angry: mom of four Jill Mraidi, from Orlando, Florida, has revealed how her then four-month-old son Qasim almost lost her toes when her hair was wrapped around them
Agony: The 46-year-old was shocked to discover that her son’s toes had nearly been cut when a strand of hair was wrapped around him in his sock (photo)
In January 2017, Jill faintly noticed a strand of hair on Qasim’s toes as she dressed his feet in a pair of socks but didn’t think too much about it.
When she took off his socks, she discovered that his toes had turned red and protruded.
They almost seemed cut off because the hair strand cut off the circulatory system.
She immediately made an appointment with her pediatrician and Tourniquet syndrome was diagnosed at Qasim.
Speaking about the traumatic moment, Jill said, “Qasim was picky and pulled his socks, so we took one to check.
“I vaguely remember a little piece of blond hair that was barely visible but ignored it because I thought it might have nothing to do with what I was looking at.
“I panicked when I saw his toes because they looked like they were being cut off, so I kept looking, but I couldn’t find the cause.
Recovery: Fortunately, Jill caught the condition before it caused more serious damage, but if she had left it a little longer, Qasim should have amputated his toes
Innocent? “I vaguely remember a little piece of blond hair that was barely visible, but ignored it because it could have nothing to do with what I was looking at,” she said
Shock: Jill admitted she never thought the condition could have been caused by her hair – and only when her pediatrician explained what happened did she understand
“I immediately made an appointment with his pediatrician and they took us to the clinic within two hours.
“My pediatrician looked at it and immediately knew what had happened.
“He then pulled out a medical book and flipped over to a page with a picture of a baby with Tourniquet syndrome, and I agreed that it was.”
However, Jill was shocked when she realized that the injury was covered by “abuse and neglect” in the state of Florida medical magazine – and that her doctor could have informed authorities about the case.
She said, “I was mortified and perplexed at the same time that I am a former child protection investigator (CPI) with the Department of Children and Families (DCF) here in the state of Florida.
“Our pediatrician explained that it was a possibility.
“Since we have seen him for more than a decade since my child was born, he agreed that this was not the case with us.
Angry: Jill was shocked when she realized the injury was covered by ‘abuse and neglect’ in the Florida medical journal – and that her doctor could have informed authorities about the case
Relief: Fortunately, Jill’s pediatrician had known the family for ten years, so he chose not to report her to the authorities
“But if he hadn’t known us, he might have called it in.” The thought of this is appalling because any innocent parent could have been the target of a DCF investigation.
“We had also seen our pediatrician a few days earlier and had even been assessed for physical therapy the day before, but nothing was present.”
Jill said she was incredibly lucky to notice the anomaly in her son’s feet, saving three of his son’s toes from amputation.
Jill, whose son is now four years old, warns parents to check items before dressing their babies.
Jill added, “The pediatrician was so grateful that we brought him in as soon as possible, which is not necessarily possible with most pediatricians.
In our case, however, it may have saved him from three amputated toes.
“He’s completely healed without leaving scars.”