Mississippi man, 28, hid in mall bathroom where he raped and tried to kill mother – fled when victim’s husband heard her scream and rushed inside to save her
- Andrew Malik Jones, 28, reportedly hid in the restroom of the Gulfport Premium Outlets Monday night before raping and assaulting a woman who was walking inside.
- The Gulfport, Mississippi Police Department reports that he pushed an Oklahoma mother into one of the stalls and began physically and sexually assaulting her around 6:45 p.m.
- He then tried to get away with her wallet, but was stopped by a group of bystanders, including the victim’s husband.
- The man, who has not been named, claimed Jones put towels over his wife’s face and a belt around her neck before raping her.
- He reportedly chased Jones and tried to lure him with money in an attempt to detain him until police could arrive
- Jones is now charged with robbery and assault and being held on a $1 million bond in a Mississippi prison gevangenis
- The victim, meanwhile, is recovering from serious injuries, including a skull fracture, at a New Orleans hospital
Andrew Malik Jones, 28, is charged with robbery and assault and is being held on a $1 million bond in Mississippi
A Mississippi man reportedly hid in a public bathroom at a luxury outlet mall before raping and assaulting an Oklahoma woman who entered the restroom Monday night.
Gulfport, Mississippi, police said Andrew Malik Jones, 28, was hiding in the restroom at Gulfport Premium Outlets around 6:45 p.m. Monday night when the victim, an Oklahoma mom who was visiting the Gulf Coast with her family, entered.
Jones then allegedly pushed her into one of the stalls and began assaulting her physically and sexually, causing her to suffer a skull fracture.
Then he tried to grab her bag and run away, WXXV 25 reports, but he was detained by a group of bystanders, including the victim’s husband, until police could arrive at the scene.
Jones is now charged with theft and assault and is being held on a $1 million bond in the Harrison County Jail.
The husband of a rape victim said he was in the food court of the Gulfport Premium Outlets (pictured) Monday night with their young daughter when his wife went to the bathroom. Eight minutes later, he said, he heard her cry and scream
The husband, who has not been identified, told WLOX that he followed Jones out of the bathroom and tried to lure him with money in an attempt to detain him until police could show up.
The victim, meanwhile, was taken to a New Orleans hospital, according to… WLOX, where she is being treated for serious injuries, including a skull fracture.
“She has a broken bone on her head,” her husband, who has also not been identified, told WLOX on Tuesday, adding that he has not been able to see her or sleep since the attack took place.
The man said he was in the food court with their young daughter, traveling to visit relatives nearby, when his wife went to the bathroom and the man locked her inside.
“He put towels over her face and a belt around her neck and raped her and tried to kill her,” the man claimed, pointing out that he heard her screaming and crying about eight minutes after she entered the bathroom.
He said he immediately ran to help her, but when he saw the suspect exit the toilet, “I kept chasing him” and tried to lure him with money as he ran into the parking lot.
“I showed him my wallet and said ‘here, money, money,'” the victim’s husband told the local news station. “I wanted to keep him there too, so that’s how I got him to stay.”
He now warns people to ‘always stay close to your wife and children’.
“In this case, I couldn’t do that because he locked the door.
“I couldn’t do anything but keep them close to you. Keep your family and children close to you – as close as you can.’