A student from Minnesota has been admitted to hospital with lung-related injuries that have left him on a ventilator and are barely able to eat or drink – as the sixth American e-cigarette user was announced.
Elijah McClure, 21, from Brooklyn Park, has been using mechanical breathing equipment for 11 days so far, after his nausea and illness developed into lung failure.
He was initially prescribed antibiotics for body aches, fever, and cold symptoms when he fell ill on the way back from a scholarship on August 22.
But more than a week later, while he was being observed, he was taken to the ICU to be placed on a ventilator, his father Sedric said Kare11.
Sedric, who has not heard his son's voice in a week, described the damaged person as & # 39; absolutely devastating & # 39; and now wants to warn others about the possible harm of e-cigarettes.
Scroll down for video
Elia McClure (above), 21, has fought lung failure, crippling nausea, and illness, and has only been able to drink a tablespoon of fluids and a probe since he was in the hospital
He is believed to have sustained lung injury due to vapors, leaving him in hospital since August 30. McClure was believed to be fit and healthy before his health deteriorated
Parents Tami (left) and Sedric (right) urged the university football player to stop using vapes after he discovered his use at the age of 15. Prior to the recording they thought he had stopped, but later his father found a pattern of the nicotine product with lemon flavor
He said: & # 39; The violent gagging with the dry hoisting and vomiting, the pain he went through, really shook me to my heart.
& # 39; You are going to text something & # 39; and you just lose it because you type and say it is on a gas mask. & # 39;
The family revealed that their son started using e-cigarettes at the age of 15 and thought he had stopped after they verbally reprimanded him.
It was unclear whether he used liquids containing only nicotine or THC, they explained, after he found his lemon-flavored cartridges.
McClure kept the habit secret from his parents after they urged him to stop, he told Mother Tami that he tried but couldn't stop.
He has been in hospital since August 30 due to injuries with e-cigarettes and has vowed never to evaporate again.
Tami said: & # 39; To see him connect completely to those tubes and not be able to respond, I would not want anyone to go through that. & # 39;
Although it is too early to determine whether Vapen caused respiratory failure for Elia, he has similar symptoms to more than 450 people in 33 states and the US Virgin Islands.
Monday it was announced that a sixth person had died due to problems related to e-cigarettes since August.
The unnamed woman came from Kansas for over 50 years and suffered from other health problems.
Other deaths have occurred in California, Illinois, Indiana, Minnesota and Oregon.
Last week, Barbara Ferrer, public health director of Los Angeles, insisted on people & # 39; Stop vaping now. & # 39;
"Today we give a warning to all residents about the use of these devices as potentially harmful to proper lung function," she added.
McClure has been connected to a fan for more than 11 days (left). Prior to needing the respirator, he suffered violent gagging with dry hoisting and vomiting (right)
Father Sedric (above) found his son's e-cigarette machine and fluid cartridges, which he claims may be the fault of his lung injuries
McClure is one of the 32 Minnesotans with suspected injuries related to the device, according to the Star Tribune.
It was assumed that the 21-year-old was perfectly fit before the hospitalization.
He initially went to North Dakota State University, where he played football, but later switched to the University of Augsburg to transfer studies from social work to business.
Recently doctors lowered his tranquilizer, making him more alert and able to write messages to his parents.
They have also lowered the oxygen saturation levels in the ventilator, suggesting that it might recover according to the location.
Sedric said to Kare11: & # 39; I hope as a parent that you will survive your mistake. We are going to make them all, but the point is that you can survive them, that you can learn from them and what we can get from this. & # 39;
In a Facebook post earlier this month, Sedric wrote: “The most disturbing thing about vape is that it is presented as a safe alternative to tobacco cigarettes, which are bulls ***.
& # 39; Maybe e-cigarettes are more harmful than regular ones.
& # 39; Our hope is that this situation will not cause him any long-term health effects. & # 39;
. (TagsToTranslate) Dailymail (t) news