Miami-Dade Mayor Carlos Gimenez has signed an emergency warrant closing the county’s restaurants and other related or similar facilities due to a continuing spike in COVID-19 cases.
Gimenez said that restaurants, as well as ballrooms, banquet halls, banquet halls, gyms and fitness centers, and short-term rentals, should be re-closed in Florida’s most populous county under the order coming into effect Wednesday.
Most affected businesses had reopened since Florida joined states that aggressively ended their pandemic blockades about two months ago.
Gimenez explained that the order was necessary “to ensure that our hospitals have enough staff to save lives,” as infected who need medical attention enter.
The province’s beaches, which closed on the weekend of July 4, will also reopen on Tuesdays. However, Gimenez warned that he would close them even if the crowd didn’t take the right social distance.
Miami Mayor Dade Carlos Gimenez signed an emergency order to shut down the county’s restaurants and other related facilities due to a continuing spike in COVID-19 cases
A couple is pictured entering the Ocean’s Ten restaurant on Ocean Drive in Miami Beach. The restaurant and everyone else in Miami-Dade County is closed again due to COVID-19
The beaches of the province, which were closed on the weekend of July 4 (photo), will also reopen on Tuesdays. However, Gimenez warned that he would close them even if the crowd didn’t take the right social distance
Florida, according to the state’s Department of Health, has now surpassed Arizona by the steepest and most alarming rise in cases in the U.S.
Miami-Dade, with 2.8 million inhabitants, had a record 2,418 new cases of the deadly flu-like virus on Saturday. At the time, Florida also reached a new high of 11,458 cases in one day.
The province then confirmed on Monday that another 1,981 cases had been reported and that the total number of deaths attributed to the virus had reached 1,051 people who died of COVID-19.
Across the state, there were 206,447 confirmed cases and a total of 3,778 deaths. And across the country, there have been over 2.9 million cases and over 130,000 deaths.
As the number of COVID-19 cases in Florida has risen, hospitals in Miami-Dade and Broward counties are reportedly preparing for a new wave of patients.
Several medical facilities are freeing up bed capacity to ensure that everyone can get treatment, WPLG reports.
Gimenez’s order to re-close restaurants swung owners, leaving them frustrated and even more concerned about the survival of their business.
“We are emotionally burned out, we are burned out financially, and we are burned out by the trauma of seeing everything that happens,” said Karina Iglesias, a partner at the popular Spanish restaurants Niu Kitchen and Arson in downtown Miami.
Michael Beltran, chief partner at Ariete Hospitality Group, which owns a handful of other popular Miami restaurants, including Taurus, struggled to cope with most of its 80 employees – many of whom were re-hired due to reopening – had to tell they would be unemployed again.
“From what they told me, I did the right things (to reopen), and now we’re at this point,” Beltran said.
Infections are on the rise in 39 states, according to a report by Reuters, and 16 recorded a record number of daily cases in July.
The alarming wave of daily new cases, averaging around 50,000 on average, has led many local leaders, such as Gimenez, to consider slowing down or reversing company reopening to infection rates that are already overwhelming hospitals in some areas to curb.
“We can control the spread if everyone follows the rules, wears masks, and stays at least six feet apart,” Gimenez said in his statement announcing the emergency warrant.