A damning report from the Metropolitan Police will conclude that it is rife with racism, sexism and homophobia when it is published next week.
Lady Louise Casey’s report is meant to criticize the country’s largest police force for failing to change its internal culture despite previous reviews telling it to.
The review, which was ordered following the 2021 rape and murder of Sarah Everard by Met police officer Wayne Couzens, will be released Tuesday, though copies have already been sent to senior officers.
Sources say the findings show the Met is in the ‘last chance lounge’ and that it is ‘egregious’ reading for the scandal-hit force, the guardian reports.
It comes as a Met officer who kept his job after masturbating on a train was revealed to be reviewing his case, after parallels were drawn between him and incidents involving Couzens before he murdered Ms Everard.
Lady Louise Casey (pictured) will publish a long-awaited report to the Metropolitan Police next week
She expected to conclude that the largest police force in the country is full of racism, sexism, and homophobia.
Lady Casey’s report says cases like Couzens and David Carrick, an officer in the same unit who turned out to be one of Britain’s worst rapists, are a damning indictment of the Met’s failings and cannot be dismissed as one. -offs.
Commissioner Sir Mark Rowley and Home Secretary Suella Braverman are among those who received drafts of the report, as was former Commissioner Cressida Dick, who is believed to have been given access.
Dick will find herself in the crosshairs of the report, which will say the problems escalated during her tenure as chief from 2017 to 2022, though the report will add that the problems were apparent before she took the helm.
She is ready to reference a 1999 report by Sir William Macpherson about the failings within the force following the racist murder of Stephen Lawrence, and how, despite the Met claiming to have acted on this, the problems persisted and escalated. they festered
Lady Casey published an interim report last October, giving a hint of what was to come in the final revision.
The 57-year-old revealed that Met officers suspected of serious crimes, including sexual assault and domestic violence, had been allowed to keep their jobs.
This included an officer who remained on the force despite being charged with 11 different cases of sexual assault, stalking, and domestic abuse.
Rowley, who at the time had only been in the commissioner role for a month after taking office in September, said he was shocked by the findings, admitting there were probably “hundreds” of staff who should have been fired but they had not. ‘t.
Lady Casey added that those officers who tried to stand up and change things from within faced challenges from the Met’s internal disciplinary system and an “anything goes” culture.
Sir Mark Rowley, Met Police commissioner, has previously admitted there are probably hundreds of officers who should have been sacked but weren’t.
The report was ordered by former Commissioner Dame Cressida Dick after Police Officer Wayne Couzens (pictured) raped and murdered Sarah Everard.
It was revealed earlier this week that the force is reviewing 1,100 misconduct files of staff accused of domestic violence or sexual offenses to determine whether the correct decisions were made.
It comes after it was revealed that an officer was caught masturbating on a train and received a conviction for outraging public decency in 2018, but still received a final written warning instead of being fired.
Dame Diana Johnson, of the Commons’ Home Affairs Committee, said on Wednesday: “He was actually convicted but not sacked from the Metropolitan Police, he is still serving as I understand it, that officer is still in the post, although not in a position in which he is facing the public.
London Deputy Mayor Sophie Linden said: “This is unacceptable and the current leadership of the Metropolitan Police have made it very clear that this is unacceptable.”
“That decision was made in the previous regime and your current leadership has made it very clear that this is a decision that would not have been made under the current leadership in the Metropolitan Police.”
Concerns about indecent exposure as a potential gateway to more serious crimes have been raised after the case of Wayne Couzens, who committed murder.
He was charged with three counts of indecent exposure, but continued to work as a police officer.
Ms Linden told the committee that the Met’s detection rate for crimes related to violence against women and girls is ‘plunging’; this refers to cases where a suspect has been identified.
She said: ‘The culture within the Metropolitan Police is one that needs to change radically, there is a real problem with the way women and girls are being treated internally and externally.
‘We can see that in terms of the trust that women have in the Met, that’s gone down, just like with other communities as well.
“But there is also a problem with detections, with those crimes, we put them in violence against women and girls: rape, sexual crimes, domestic abuse, those detection rates are really plummeting.
“There are two things going on, I think there are cultural issues and there’s also this issue around the service being provided particularly to female victims that has meant that trust has really gone down.”