Fire at Sydney’s major shopping center as shoppers evacuate and smoke billows through the mall
- An electrical fire broke out at the Merrylands Stockland store
- Staff and shoppers were evacuated
A fire has broken out at a popular shopping center in western Sydney, with plumes of smoke billowing through the store.
The fire alarm was heard early Tuesday afternoon in the center of Stocklands in Merrylands.
A NSW Fire and Rescue spokesperson told Daily Mail Australia emergency services were called at around 12.45am with three fire engines rushing to the scene.
A small electrical fire had been lit in a cool room and all staff and customers had been evacuated from the centre.
The fire alarm was heard early Tuesday afternoon at the Stocklands center in Merrylands, western Sydney
Smoke moves through the mall on Tuesday
A woman who was in an elevator at the time of the fire was treated in a state of shock by paramedics.
At 2:30 p.m., staff and shoppers were allowed back into the center.
A customer filmed the smoke moving through the center and shared the footage on Reddit.
‘What happened in Merrylands stocklands? I see smoke,’ they said.
More to come