A nightmare wedding in which almost half of the guests fell seriously ill has been described by a witness as “horrible”, as the venue’s menu options are revealed.
Friends and family were partying at Park Melbourne in the city’s south on Saturday night when a flower girl suddenly found herself with gastro-like symptoms.
Initial reports claimed that 70 of the 300 attendees were sick by the end of the evening, but one guest said Wednesday that the list of victims was likely much longer.
“It was more than half of the guests,” they wrote on social media. “At least 100 of us were sick. It was horrible.’
It is the second outbreak at the same location in three days, after around 70 healthcare workers suffered vomiting and diarrhea after a conference dinner on Wednesday.
The cause of both incidents remains under investigation by the Victoria and Port Philip health departments, but the venue was this week given permission to continue operating.
Wedding attendees were given the choice of chicken or pork for their main meal, but it is unclear whether the food was the cause.
A couple’s fairytale wedding turned into a nightmare following a gastro outbreak at The Park (pictured) in Melbourne’s Albert Park.
The guest, who opted for chicken, added: “It wasn’t just the guests who ate chicken who ended up getting sick.
“Even children who ate a different meal than adults also ended up sick.”
The youngest guest who fell ill would be barely a year old. At least three guests spent Monday night in the hospital.
According to the venue’s website, there are two wedding packages offering chicken and pork as main courses.
The first option on the menu read: “Roasted chicken breast with mashed potatoes, leeks, tarragon jus, parsley and shallots.”
The second option said: “Pork belly, spicy pumpkin, roasted onion, spring onion oil, crackers.”
Both options included “fresh bread, cultured butter, coarse sea salt” as starters.
In the photo: a mock-up of a starter and main meal available on site. Two wedding packages including chicken and pork
Packages with main meals start at $180 per person, meaning the newlyweds would have spent around $55,000 there alone.
The couple are now considering legal action against the caterers and spent Tuesday taking statements from guests to launch a class action, The Age reported.
Earlier in the week, about 280 doctors, nurses, researchers, rehabilitation and emergency department staff attended an annual conference of the Australian and New Zealand Burn Association (ANZBA), the Herald Sun reported.
On Wednesday, they had dinner at Park Melbourne – the same venue as Saturday’s wedding.
The conference was scheduled to last four days and end on Friday, but the seminars were held online the last two days after 70 guests felt ill.
A venue spokesperson told Daily Mail Australia the investigations would focus on two events: Wednesday September 13 and the wedding on September 16.
“On Friday September 15, we received a routine health and safety site inspection from the City of Port Philip, which revealed no issues with health and safety practices,” they said. declared.
“We have carried out a deep clean as a precaution and have received council approval to continue operations.
“We will continue to work closely with the City of Port Philip to determine the cause of this outbreak and will keep customers and affected parties informed of the investigator’s findings.”