A wild brawl erupts between more than 50 partygoers wielding bats and wooden planks after a ‘nice barbecue’ after work got out of hand
- Mass brawl in western Melbourne
- Two seriously injured as a result
- A fight broke out at a barbecue party
A vicious brawl broke out between more than 50 partygoers, leaving three men with ‘serious injuries’ in hospital after tension boiled over during a barbecue.
CCTV footage shows several men wielding bats and wooden planks outside a Laverton North warehouse in Melbourne’s west.
It was reported that about 20-30 employees were enjoying a barbecue at Tiger Trailers after work when a second group of men appeared between 9 and 10 p.m.
Paramedics were called to the bloody scene but did not treat or pick up anyone.
Police were able to track down six people involved in the brawl who went to hospitals in western Melbourne.
A group of men walk into the street, some carrying wooden planks around the time of a mass brawl in Melbourne’s west.
A 36-year-old, a 35-year-old and a 28-year-old, all from Melbourne’s western suburbs, are still in hospital on Sunday with serious injuries, with two of the men suffering head injuries.
Officers said they were baffled as to why a “nice barbecue” after work turned violent and what the relationship is between the two groups.
Officers say there is no clear motive for the collision and detectives are still unable to determine “why the other party was present, or the relationship between the two parties.”
“That something like this happens, with a total of six victims, for people who would just have a nice barbecue after work, naturally worries us,” said Superintendent Erin Hardie.
CCTV footage is being searched to discover the exact number of men involved and to gather other information for the ongoing investigation.
No arrests have been made so far.
Footage from the incident shows figures running away with the fighters scattered by the time police arrived
Constable Hardie said there was no indication the trailer company was involved in the incident, but the owner of the second group that arrived at the barbeque may have been known.
“A deal was made to go ahead with the barbecue, but it obviously went wrong,” said Hardie.
Andy, the owner of an adjoining steel company, who declined to give his last name, told them The age the fight took place outside his company, but caused no damage.
He was informed of what had happened by the owner of the trailer company on Sunday morning.
“It’s very strange,” Andy said.
“This shouldn’t be happening.”
Police have not yet identified anyone from the second group that arrived and are reviewing CCTV footage to investigate.
“We hope anyone who has information can find out why these two parties have come together and what the dispute is between them,” said Constable Hardie.
Police are calling on anyone with information about the case to come forward.