WhatsNew2Day
Latest News And Breaking Headlines

Meghan Markle had been out of contact with her father for two years, although she claimed he felt “harassed.”

Meghan Markle claims her estranged father Thomas was ‘harassed and exploited’ by the media, despite not speaking to him or asking if he agreed with her allegations for two years, the High Court heard today at the start of a historical lawsuit.

The Duchess of Sussex, 38, sues Associated Newspapers, owner of Mail on Sunday and MailOnline, about an article depicting parts of a handwritten letter she sent to Mr. Markle, 75, in August 2018, three months after he had not walked, had reproduced. her down the aisle after a heart attack.

The first phase of her case started today at the High Court, where the publisher filed a petition to drop parts of her claim. The Duchess and her husband, Prince Harry, are believed to be watching online from Los Angeles during her famous lawyer David Sherborne’s submissions.

Antony White QC, for Associated Newspapers, told Judge Mr. Justice Warby today that it is “curious” that the Mail will be accused on Sunday of “intimidation, humiliation, manipulation and exploitation” of Mr. Markle when his daughter has not spoken to him.

He said Meghan’s allegations about her father “appear to have been recorded without the claimant (Ms Markle) contacting her father to see if he agrees.”

Ms Markle’s allegation describes her father as “vulnerable,” her legal claim says, despite the fact that she severed all ties to him after their public consequences just before the royal wedding at St George’s Chapel in Windsor.

Meghan Markle claims that her father’s decision to give the letter to the Mail on Sunday violated her privacy, copyrights and data protection rights, and her legal team claimed she was ‘shocked and deeply upset’ when her ‘private letter’ to the Mr. Markle was made public.

But the publisher completely denies the allegations – in particular, the claim that the letter has been edited in a way that has changed its meaning – saying he will vehemently dispute the case, claiming the story was in the public interest.

Associated newspapers also claim that the Duchess was already “ express or tacit ” four days before the MoS piece on February 10, 2019 allowed friends to leak the contents of the letter to People magazine, which violated her own privacy.

Thomas Markle has alleged that he felt pressured to share the letter with the press after the content was misrepresented and he was ‘slandered’ in the US article and told the Mail on Sunday: “I have to defend myself. I only released parts of the letter because other parts were so painful. The letter did not seem loving to me. I was embarrassed. ‘

The estranged father of the Duchess of Sussex is expected to be called up as a defense witness in a lawsuit she has filed against a newspaper (photo: Meghan Markle as a youth, with her father Thomas Markle)

The Duke and Duchess of Sussex left the Commonwealth Service in Westminster Abbey, London on Commonwealth Day on March 9 this year, their last royal engagement before leaving for the US

The Duke and Duchess of Sussex left the Commonwealth Service in Westminster Abbey, London on Commonwealth Day on March 9 this year, their last royal engagement before leaving for the US

The Duke and Duchess of Sussex left the Commonwealth Service in Westminster Abbey, London on Commonwealth Day on March 9 this year, their last royal engagement before leaving for the US

The case was heard online by Judge Mr Justice Warby (bottom left), with Ms Markle represented by famous attorney David Sherborne and Associated Newspapers represented by Antony White QC

The case was heard online by Judge Mr Justice Warby (bottom left), with Ms Markle represented by famous attorney David Sherborne and Associated Newspapers represented by Antony White QC

The case was heard online by Judge Mr Justice Warby (bottom left), with Ms Markle represented by famous attorney David Sherborne and Associated Newspapers represented by Antony White QC

The text messages between Prince Harry, Meghan and Thomas Markle in the days before their wedding – and their public consequences

May 13, 2018

A week before the wedding, it is revealed that Mr. Markle has staged ‘paparazzi’ like pictures.

May 15, 2018

Mr. Markle writes to his daughter that he regrets the furor over the posed photos, offers to apologize to both her and Prince Harry publicly and says he will not attend the wedding because he wants to save her from further shame. Later that day, Mr. Markle suffers from chest pain and goes to the hospital with suspected congestive heart failure.

Three messages from Harry:

“Tom, it’s Harry and I’m going to call you now. Please pick up, thanks’

Tom, Harry again! I really need to talk to you. You don’t have to apologize, we understand the circumstances, but ‘going public’ will only make the situation worse. If you love Meg and want to make it right, give me a call because there are two other options where you don’t have to talk to the media that actually created this whole situation. So please call me so I can explain. Meg and I are not angry, we just need to speak to you. Thanks’

“Oh, anyone who speaks to the press will backfire, trust me Tom. Only we can help you, as we have been trying from day 1.

Meghan’s legal document claims she “first heard” of her father’s hospitalization for a heart attack through his statement to the American gossip website TMZ.

May 15, 2018

Mr. Markle has been treated with great care in a hospital with a diagnosis of suspected congestive heart failure.

Mr. Markle texted his daughter to say he was “back in the hospital.”

Meghan’s legal document claims she “first heard” of her father’s hospitalization for a heart attack through his statement to the American gossip website TMZ.

Her text reply: “I contacted you all weekend, but you don’t answer any of our calls or answer text messages … Very concerned with your health and safety and have taken every measure to protect you, but not sure what else can we do if you don’t respond … Need help? Can we send the security team back down? I am very sorry that you are in the hospital, but I would like you to contact us … In which hospital are you? “.

Ten minutes later, she wrote, “Harry and I made a decision earlier today and are sending the same security personnel you sent away this weekend to be on the ground to make sure you’re safe … they’re standing ready for you as soon as you need them. Please call as soon as possible … all of this is incredibly worrying, but your health is the most important thing. ‘

Then, via Meghan’s phone, Harry sent another message “to provide Mr. Markle with the details of the security team.” Harry “begged Mr. Markle to let them help him.”

May 16, 2018

Mr. Markle undergoes emergency surgery to the heart and apologizes to his daughter for not going to marriage, but receives a reply from Prince Harry urging Mr. Markle to speak to the press and tell him to stop and the accuse Mr Markle of causing pain to his daughter. The text did not ask how the surgical procedure had progressed or what Mr Markle was like or sent him good wishes. Mr. Markle was deeply hurt and replied curtly, “I haven’t done anything to hurt you Meghan or anyone … I’m sorry, my heart attack is here for you?”

Meghan says that as a result of this “unpleasant” message, she called her father “four more times within five minutes of sending the message, but he declined to answer.”

Harry also texted Mr. Markle from her phone: “Tom, it’s Harry, please answer your phone. I need to know that this is you because it doesn’t sound like you at all. ‘ Meghan claims, “No response was received.”

Thomas Markle then accused Prince Harry of treating his heart attack as an “inconvenience,” adding, “I haven’t done anything to hurt you, Meghan, or anyone else.”

Wedding day – May 19, 2018,

Meghan Markle claims that Thomas Markle tried to call her early in the morning of the wedding.

After the wedding, Thomas Markle said that he tried to contact Meghan by phone and text, but only received a reply to her letter in August 2018. When he tried to make the call, his calls were either blocked by Meghan or she had changed her number, he says.

He kept calling and texting, but never had a response. According to Meghan, she has not received phone calls or text messages from Thomas Markle since the wedding day.

February 6, 2019

People magazine publishes ‘The Truth about Meghan – Her Best Friends Break Their Silence’. Meghan’s friends give an interview about Meghan and her estrangement from Thomas Markle, including her letter.

The article has been reported worldwide. But oneAccording to Meghan, she did not organize or authorize her friends to refer to the letter in People magazine

February 7, 2019

Kensington Palace declines to comment on whether Meghan’s friends had given the interview at Meghan’s request or with her permission.

February 10, 2019

Thomas Markle will give a copy of the letter to the mail on Sunday, along with his own account of the reasons for their alienation.

The newspaper then publishes extracts from a letter and Thomas Markle’s answer to People magazine, which corrects what he says is false and misleading by Meghan’s friends.

Lawyers for The Mail On Sunday and MailOnline have also claimed that the “flawless” handwriting of the Duchess of Sussex in a letter to her father is proof that she intended to publish it.

At a preliminary hearing today, held online due to the coronavirus crisis, lawyers from related newspapers asked the court to throw away parts of Meghan’s case, including claiming that the decision to publish the letter was malicious.

White QC also argued that part of Ms Markle’s claim for damages is ‘inadmissible’ and ‘should be dropped due to disproportionality’, adding that if the court were to judge in her favor it would have consequences for freedom enjoy expression of press. ‘

Meghan’s counsel David Sherborne opened his case saying it is “important to keep in mind” that the case is about privacy, adding that this is “not surprising” as the publisher “has the detailed content of a private letter from a daughter to her father ‘.

The routine hearing is a stepping stone to a full lawsuit against the Supreme Court in late 2020 or early 2021, where Meghan Markle and Thomas Markle could see face-to-face and testify against each other for the first time in over two years.

Meghan has called Thomas a liar and denied knowing that her influential friends were planning to reveal details of their deteriorating relationship to an American magazine, court papers published earlier this week revealed.

The Mail on Sunday claims that Meghan has given a group of five close friends permission to leak the letter to People magazine on February 6, 2019, meaning the Duchess has violated her own privacy.

Ms. Markle maintains that her friends did it without her knowledge, according to court documents.

Portions of the letter were published in newspapers and online last February, and it was announced in October that the Duchess would take legal action.

After today’s hearing, Mr Justice Warby will decide to exclude a range of elements from her case, likely in a written statement in the coming weeks.

Experts believe the Duchess is “ playing a very high stakes game, ” which allowed her to see her father in the Supreme Court for breaking off contact with him since the royal wedding in May 2018.

Mark Stephens, a partner at Howard Kennedy, says Meghan should testify when the case comes up, as do her five anonymous friends who informed People magazine about the contents of the letter before it was published by the Mail on Sunday.

Mr. Stephens told Newsweek: “This has become a very high stakes game for Meghan because it ends up in a situation or she tells the truth. All her five friends will have to join the business. They’ll have to be questioned, they’ll have to be questioned.

The Mail on Sunday’s QC is a brilliant cross-examiner. Even if she wins the case because of a technical problem, she will lose the war. She will have huge clumps removed from her reputation. ‘

Gavin Millar, QC, of ​​Matrix Chambers, has predicted that Mrs. Markle’s claim on the mail will be toned down on Sunday.

He said, “I think the way the claim was made is an exaggeration.

“They have turned what would be a very simple matter about correspondence and privacy issues into a kind of public inquiry into the journalism of the Mail over a long period of time.

“There is a discussion whether the court should allow such cases. I think the court will tone down the claim from the way it has been advocated and limit it. I think the court will do that and it should be done. ‘

When the case comes to trial, the newspaper said Meghan would be forced to transfer any communications in which she had induced or allowed her friends to disclose information about her to her or attempt to influence what is being published about her ‘.

Thomas Markle, a retired Hollywood lighting director living in Rosarito, Mexico, has said that his daughter cut off all contact with him after her marriage, except for the letter in the middle of the case. If he were to be called as a witness, he would actually have to call his own daughter a liar who had invaded her own privacy.

Meghan Markle called her father Thomas a liar, denying she knew her influential friends were planning to reveal details of their deteriorating relationship to an American magazine, court papers published earlier this week revealed.

Prince Harry “pleaded” with Meghan’s father to accept their help in the bleak days before their marriage, it was alleged.

He wrote in a text to Thomas Markle, “If you love Meg and want to make it right, call me.”

These previously unseen messages from the Duke and Duchess of Sussex shed new light on the breakup in Meghan’s relationship with her father and she basically calls him a liar.

In a message, Harry told him, “Speaking to the press will backfire, trust me Tom. Only we can help you. ‘

The extraordinary Supreme Court case has been dubbed ‘Markle vs Markle’, in which the Duchess’s 75-year-old estranged father is willing to testify against his own daughter.

Mr. Markle had also made desperate attempts to restore their relationship after heart surgery forced him to miss the 2018 royal wedding.

On Monday, her legal team submitted a document detailing her version of the events and sending the messages with her and Harry to her father.

She admits that five of her best friends spoke to people, but said it was without her knowledge – and she was “upset” that they called the letter.

She also claims that she did not receive his lyrics after the “ contact you ” wedding.

The documents submitted Monday by the Duchess’s legal team also state: “Mr. Markle did not answer truthfully when asked about the photos taken and staged by a paparazzo photographer …”

Thomas Markle with a baby Meghan Markle. A photo shown in the Channel 5 documentary called Thomas Markle: My Story, which aired earlier this year

Thomas Markle with a baby Meghan Markle. A photo shown in the Channel 5 documentary called Thomas Markle: My Story, which aired earlier this year

Thomas Markle with a baby Meghan Markle. A photo shown in the Channel 5 documentary called Thomas Markle: My Story, which aired earlier this year

Thomas Markle displays souvenirs he keeps on Harry and Meghan mantelpiece from the wedding he couldn't attend

Thomas Markle displays souvenirs he keeps on Harry and Meghan mantelpiece from the wedding he couldn't attend

Thomas Markle displays souvenirs he keeps on Harry and Meghan mantelpiece from the wedding he couldn’t attend

Some of Mr Markle’s messages to his daughter were detailed in the Mail’s defense before the High Court in London on Sunday.

The documents said that after Markle sent a message to his daughter that he was unable to come to her marriage because he had been taken to the hospital for emergency heart surgery, he received a text message from Harry saying he was “admonishing” him with the press had spoken.

Sent on May 16, the same day as his surgery, Harry’s text did not ask how Mr. Markle was, the newspaper’s legal document said. It said that Mr. Markle was deeply hurt and replied, “I am sorry that my heart attack … is some inconvenience to you.”

The case of Mail on Sunday is that she has in fact violated her own privacy because Mr. Markle had kept his daughter’s handwritten note private for months and only revealed it to reveal false claims that the Duchess had sought to restore the relationship .

Meghan knowingly leaked five close friends details of the letter to People Magazine to attack her father, the paper said. T

The result was a ‘one-sided’ interview published on Feb. 6, 2019 in the celebrity weekly that read, ‘Her best friends break their silence’ and ‘The truth about Meghan’.

The defense papers said, “Thomas Markle only released Meghan’s letter to the world to show that it was not the” loving “plea her friends had expressed.”

.

Comments
Loading...