Meghan Markle and Prince Harry DROP offer the Sussex Royal trademark for trade or charity activities (although they still want to use it on toiletries, sporting goods, toys, beer and jewelry)
- Request to use Sussex Royal and Sussex Royal Foundation in the UK has been deleted
- Followed Queen’s decision that they could not use the ‘Royal’ label after their resignation
- An application to use the title for goods sold in Europe is still active
Meghan Markle and Prince Harry have given up their attempt to market the Sussex Royal brand in Britain to cash in on their ties with the frost.
Documents submitted to the Intellectual Property Office show that a request to use the Sussex Royal and Sussex Royal Foundation names for commercial and charitable activities in the UK had been removed.
It followed the Queen’s decision that they could not use the “Royal” label after they decided to resign as working royals and move to North America.
Meghan Markle with the queen at a ceremony in Widnes on June 14, 2018. The prince recently decided that she and Harry should not use the Sussex Royal trademark in Great Britain
An application for the use of the royal trademark on toiletries, beer, toys, jewelry and sporting goods is still active in Europe, The sun reported.
That is despite the couple who said last weekend that they would not use the word “Royal” abroad.
The Queen’s statement about the trademark came after long and complex conversations, it is understood.
Harry and Meghan had already spent tens of thousands of pounds on a new Sussex Royal website in addition to their hugely popular Instagram feed.
A statement they issued on Saturday set a more hostile tone in some sections and said that neither the government nor the queen herself have the word “royal” internationally – but they would nevertheless stop using the title.
The statement said: “Although there is no jurisdiction of The Monarchy or Cabinet Office over the use of the word” Royal “abroad, the Duke and Duchess of Sussex do not intend to say” Sussex Royal “or any repetition of the word use “Royal” on any territory (within the UK or otherwise) when the transition takes place in the spring of 2020. “
They also seemed to complain that the palace treats them differently from other family members.
The statement went on: “Although there is a precedent for other members of the Royal family to look for work outside the institution, an evaluation period of 12 months has been established for The Duke and Duchess of Sussex.
“According to the agreement, the Duke and Duchess of Sussex understand that they must withdraw from the royal duties and not perform representative duties on behalf of Her Majesty the Queen.”
Prince Harry will speak at a summit on sustainable tourism in Edinburgh on Wednesday
A statement from the palace last month stated that the Duke and Duchess of Sussex will no longer use their HRH titles.
The statement by Meghan and Harry, however, states that they will retain the prefixes His and Her Royal Highness.
The pair was again confronted with a blow last night after Canada refused to keep guarding them when they resigned as working princes.
In what will be seen as a humiliation for the couple, the Mounties said they would no longer pay for their safety after March 31.
This means that the costs of 24-hour protection for the Duke and Duchess of Sussex and baby son Archie – which amount to millions of pounds – will fall on British taxpayers.
It is the first time that Canada has confirmed that it has helped guard Harry and Meghan since they settled on Vancouver Island last November. But last night it announced that this would stop from April in accordance with their “status change.”