We don’t like it! McDonald’s fans are disappointed as the chain cancels its popular Monopoly game for the first time in 15 years – claiming it’s the ‘worst of 2020’
- The McDonald’s Monopoly board game has been officially canceled for 2020
- Game was supposed to start on March 25, but lockdown was introduced two days later
- Discouraged Twitter users branded decision as ‘worst this year’
Disappointed Twitter users have shared their grief that McDonald’s canceled its popular Monopoly promotion for the first time in 15 years.
The game has been played in the UK every spring since 2005 and allows customers to win big cash prizes by collecting ownership game spins, or smaller food prizes like chips or a McFlurry with instant win tickers.
The fast food chain has decided to postpone this year’s game to enable safe working and social distance in restaurants and to minimize pressure on workers.
In addition, some of the affected food items are currently unavailable, with stores serving limited menus until normal service resumes.
Social media users quickly responded to the news, joking that their “ kids were crying ” after hearing the announcement, while another was furious that after months of closure, this was a bitter pill to swallow.
McDonald’s canceled their popular Monopoly board game for the first time in 15 years. Stock Image
Angry father Oen commented, ‘McDonald’s Monopoly has been canceled ?! Thanks for that, children are crying now! ‘
McDonalds Monopoly is canceled this year. I hate 2020 ‘, another user moaned.
Another shouted, “I can lose pubs. I can lose work. I can lose many other things. BUT NOW YOU HAVE TAKEN MCDONALDS MONOPOLY FROM ME. ENOUGH IS ENOUGH.’
“The worst thing about this year was missing McDonalds Monopoly, loving a free McFlurry,” said a third.
Social media users reacted quickly to the news, joking that their ‘children were crying’ after hearing the announcement
Paul Pomroy, CEO of McDonald’s UK and Ireland, said that while the promotion is causing “a lot of excitement” and returning next spring, it cannot yet be safely resumed.
In a statement, he said, “We made the decision to close our restaurants shortly before this year’s Monopoly promotion was launched. We know many of you enjoy this promotion, which has been running in the UK since 2005.
“To enable safe working and social distance in our restaurants and to minimize the pressure on our employees, we decided to cancel this year’s Monopoly VIP campaign.
The popular promotional game has been held in the UK every spring since 2005 and allows customers to win big prizes by collecting ownership game tokens. Stock Image
“It creates a lot of excitement in our restaurants and depends heavily on menu items that we cannot safely reintroduce yet.
“Rest assured, we are already planning for Monopoly 2021 and hope to bring this popular promotion back next spring.”
While fans of the fast food giant can’t win much with their favorite promotional offer, they can indulge in one of their famous breakfast muffins.
McDonald’s announced yesterday the return of its famous breakfast to 1,000 reopened restaurants, including milkshakes and double bacon cheeseburgers again on the menu.
The franchise, which has 1,800 outlets in the UK, has announced the return of six popular items that previously opened with a limited menu, after the locking restrictions eased.
Milkshakes and double cheeseburgers with bacon, the Mayo Chicken, the Bacon Mayo Chicken, hot chocolate and Happy Meal organic milk bottles are available from July 9th from 11am.