Man who died in house fire in Coolongup Perth identified as 51-year-old grandfather

0

‘Dear Larrikin’ FIFO worker and grandfather, 51, dies in horrific house fire – but his three beloved dogs are rescued by firefighters

  • Emergency services were called to a house in south Perth at 6 a.m. on Thursday
  • Damien Wood, a 51-year-old grandfather and FIFO employee, was found dead inside
  • Neighbors tried to extinguish the inferno, assuming Mr. Wood was at work

A man who died in a horrific house fire in Perth has been identified as grandfather Damien Wood.

Emergency services were called to a house on Mariner Place in Coolongup, south Perth, at 6 a.m. on Thursday.

After the inferno was extinguished, firefighters discovered the body of the 51-year-old FIFO employee in the house.

“It’s a sad, sad situation, and we have the unfortunate task of notifying a grieving family, as you might expect,” Mandurah District Inspector Dean Snashall said this morning.

A man who died in a horrific house fire in Perth has been identified as grandfather Damien Wood (pictured)

A man who died in a horrific house fire in Perth has been identified as grandfather Damien Wood (pictured)

Mr. Wood’s heartbroken parents released a statement Thursday afternoon.

‘Our son was a lovely larrikin, father of three, grandfather of two. Admired for his work ethic and especially his hunting skills, ‘they said 7 News

Loved by anyone who knew his inner soul. A large character sent to rest in the arms of its creator. ‘

Local Andrew Ward said he woke up this morning to find Mr. Wood’s blinds were closed and could see an ‘orange glow’ coming through.

Neighbors desperately tried to extinguish the inferno, assuming Mr. Wood was at work.

Arson detectives and energy safety inspectors examined the burnt-out house and assessed whether an electrical fault could have caused the fire.

Ward said he was “shocked” by what had happened and described his neighbor as a “friendly guy.”

Mr. Wood’s dogs survived the inferno and are cared for by rangers.

Local Andrew Ward said he woke up this morning to find Mr Wood's blinds were closed and could see an 'orange glow' coming through

Local Andrew Ward said he woke up this morning to find Mr Wood's blinds were closed and could see an 'orange glow' coming through

Local Andrew Ward said he woke up this morning to find Mr Wood’s blinds were closed and could see an ‘orange glow’ coming through

Advertisement