A man who claims he worked for Zappos founder Tony Hsieh is suing his estate for $12.5 million, citing a scribbled post-it note as a “contract” that he says proves he’s entitled to it. money.
Hsieh died last November at the age of 46 in a barn at a friend’s home in Connecticut. He used drugs, hardly ate and was sleep deprived at the time.
Since then, his $840 million estate has been hit by a claim from his longtime friend Jennifer “Mimi” Pham. She is demanding $90 million.
On Tuesday, Mark Evensvold filed his own claim for $12.5 million.
He says Hsieh promised him the money as payment for working on his homes, including in Park City Utah, where Evensvold says he was tasked with building tree houses. He claims that Hsieh has promised him a salary of $450,000.
The post-it is a transcript, he says, of a conversation they had “on the beach” about what kind of work he would do for him. It is barely legible but is dated August 19, 2020.
On Tuesday, Mark Evensvold filed his own claim for $12.5 million and the post-it which he believes is a transcript of a conversation they had discussing their contract in August 2019
Mark Evensvold has filed a claim for $12.5 million in Nevada. He says he and Hsieh (left) discussed getting him a $450,000 salary
Evensvold filed a 10-page petition with the Nevada court, where Hsieh’s brother and father took control of his estate.
They are now trying to sell his huge real estate portfolio.
Evensvold claimed in his application that he owes money after Hsieh promised a salary to operate bars and security for him.
They also did business together in a company called Nacho Daddy.
Hsieh’s estate is already being sued by Pham for $90 million.
Pham, the 46-year-old tech tycoon’s former assistant, claims she earns the huge amount from her involvement in a string of lucrative business deals.
By far the largest claim, $75 million, represents “expected profits” from Hsieh’s new venture into the documentaries streaming service.
Jennifer ‘Mimi’ Pham, the 46-year-old tech mogul’s former assistant, claims she owns the largest amount due to her involvement in a string of business deals
The second largest claim, $7.5 million, is “expected profit” from the Big Moose Yacht Club in Park City.
Pham has filed a few lawsuits against the estate of Hsieh, who died in November after a fire in New London, Connecticut.
In the latest claim, filed last month in Nevada, Pham alleged that Hsieh had asked her to partner on a new venture with his documentary film company, Pickled Entertainment, LLC.
The duo agreed to a contract on August 26, 2020, in which Pham, through her company, Mr. Taken, LLC, would take care of [Hsieh’s] Certain management and administrative support services of the company,” according to court documents.
Richard and Andrew Hsieh say the contract was suspended on January 28.
Pham also claims that Hsieh hired her to oversee the Big Moose Yacht Club, the entrepreneur’s upscale hotel in Park City, Utah.
Hsieh was staying at the house of a friend, Rachael Brown, and had gotten into an argument with her the night of the fire over the cleanliness of the house, another friend said.
Hsieh died on November 27, 2020, nine days after a fire broke out at a house in New London, Connecticut, where he was staying with friends. Pictured is the barn where he died
She claims she would manage the rental of spaces on the site and at one point helped obtain a business license from the city.
Pham’s previous lawsuit, filed on Jan. 20, alleged that she owed hundreds of thousands of dollars for her involvement in another venture.
Her lawyers described their client as Hsieh’s “assistant, right-hand man and friend for 17 years before his death.”
Hsieh died on November 27, 2020, nine days after a fire broke out at a house in New London, Connecticut, where he was staying with friends.
Hsieh was surrounded by lighted candles, a propane stove, Whip-It nitrous oxide chargers, a whipped cream dispenser, a marijuana pipe and bottles of alcohol when a fire ripped through a locked shed where he slept.
The latest findings of the two-month investigation were revealed in January on the same day that police CCTV footage showed firefighters evacuating Hsieh from the site of the fire and rushing him to a local hospital.
Firefighters arrived after the blaze ripped through a locked shed in which Hsieh slept early in the morning.
The New London, Connecticut fire chief said the cause of the fire that swept through the barn at his girlfriend’s home was inconclusive, though his report left several possibilities open.
Investigators believe the fire was caused by a portable propane stove; discarded cigarettes and marijuana; ‘misuse of candles’; or ‘carelessness or even a deliberate act on the part of Hsieh may have started this fire.’
Hsieh died of complications from smoke inhalation, the head of state medical examiner ruled.