Suspended Man United footballer Mason Greenwood is set to become a father just weeks after hearing attempted rape and assault charges against him have been dropped, as the club’s female stars express “concerns” over his possible return .
- Charges against Greenwood dropped after ‘withdrawal of key witnesses’
- His family is said to be ‘waiting’ to welcome the couple’s son.
Manchester United’s Mason Greenwood has found out he is becoming a father for the first time just weeks after attempted rape and assault charges against him were dropped.
The news comes as the club’s female stars have expressed “concerns” about the striker’s possible return. Greenwood has been suspended since January 2022.
The 21-year-old was charged with attempted rape, controlling and coercive behavior, and assault in October last year.
The charges were dropped earlier this month with the Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) citing a ‘removal of key witnesses and new material coming to light’, events which meant ‘there was no longer a realistic prospect of conviction’. ‘. They added that they had a ‘duty’ not to pursue the case in such circumstances.
His family is said to be conscious and ‘waiting’ to welcome the couple’s son in the summer. Sun informed.
Mason Greenwood is reportedly set to become a father for the first time this year, just weeks after the charges against him were dropped.
The 21-year-old was suspended by the club last year pending an investigation into alleged attempted rape, controlling and coercive behavior and assault.
Greenwood last played a football game against West Ham on January 22, 2022, but has continued to earn £75,000 a week ever since. He has a contract until 2025.
While United is carrying out its own investigation, the men’s senior team is said to be divided on whether or not the former academy star should be allowed to return.
The report indicates that some of the squad members harbor concerns about his return, while some have no objection to Greenwood being welcomed back.
Among the women’s team, which shares the Carrington base with the men, the players are said to be deeply concerned about Greenwood’s return.
A source told The Sun: “If Mason returns, it’s inconceivable that she won’t have any contact with any of the women’s team.”
“Everyone at the club is well aware of what was alleged at the time of his arrest.”
Greenwood remains prohibited from training or playing for the club while this process is ongoing. It is reported that it could extend for months.
Natalie Burrell, founder of the United Women’s Supporters’ Club, told The Sun: ‘United needs to make a statement and letting him come back would be the worst thing they could do.
“I don’t want to see him train, wear a kit or go out at Old Trafford again.” And I’m sure they won’t (let it)’.
The women’s team is said to be uneasy about the possibility of Greenwood returning.
Some business partners are also reported to harbor reservations about his return.
The player issued a statement after the CPS announced its decision, writing: “I am relieved that this matter is over and would like to thank my family, loved ones and friends for their support.” There will be no further comments at this time.
United remained mum about its next steps in the days and weeks following the CPS decision.
Erik ten Hag, asked about the Greenwood case at his press conference the day after the charges were dropped, referred people to the statement issued by the club.
“I can’t add anything, I refer to the club’s statement,” he said.