A waitress in the cafe where a man collapsed and was left dead in a mortuary has revealed the sequence of events that triggered a week-long search for him because his family believed he was alive.
Family members of Jeffrey Conway have searched for him for more than a week after being told that he was discharged from Barwon Health Hospital in Geelong, Victoria.
Mr. Conway, 64, was in Two Sugars cafe on September 20 when he collapsed and rushed to the hospital for a heart attack.
Scroll down for video
The man who lay in a mortuary for a week while his family was looking for him after being told he was alive, was revealed as Jeffrey Conway (left)
Relatives of Mr. Conway have searched for him for more than a week after being told that he was discharged from Barwon Health Hospital in Geelong, Victoria
Waitress at the establishment, Tiettu Popping said Nine news they were told that Mr. Conway was unconscious and doctors said he didn't wake up.
Just two days later, Popping went to the hospital to check on Mr. Conway, but was told that the 64-year-old was fired.
On September 26, Mr. Conway's sister called the cafe, stressed because she did not know that her brother had been completely in the hospital.
& # 39; I double-checked it and made sure it was the right man, & # 39; said Mrs. Popping.
The next day, the hospital also told the 64-year-old sister that he was fired, so she submitted a report on missing persons.
It was then revealed that Mr Conway had died seven days before the report on missing persons was submitted.
The investigation ended when the police placed his body in the morgue and are now investigating why the death report was not followed up with the family.
Chief Commissioner Graham Ashton told Melbourne radio on Thursday 3AW that the case is now being followed up to provide the family with as much information as possible.
Mr. Conway, 64, was in Two Sugars cafe on September 20 when he collapsed and rushed to the hospital suffered a heart attack
"This is clearly a case where there is an accident, because the family was not notified when they should have been notified, and we need to make sure we see how we can get it right," Ashton said.
Barwon Health and Victoria Police are now working together on the blunder after they claimed the police were contacted the day Mr. Conway died.
& # 39; Barwon Health apologizes without reservation for the distress caused by the delay and the way in which the family has been notified of the death of their family member, & # 39; the hospital said in a statement.
Although the hospital staff tried to contact Mr. Conway's relatives several times, they were unlucky and reported to the police.
Waitress at the establishment, Tiettu Popping (photo), said Mr. Conway was unconscious and doctors said he didn't wake up
Mr. Conway was with Two Sugars (photo) when he collapsed and had a heart attack
& # 39; We are awaiting advice on internal communication between the police involved in the first report to the police at the time of the patient's death and the police involved in the coroner case & # 39 ;, the explanation.
If someone dies in the hospital, the hospital usually informs the next of kin.
But in this case there was & # 39; maybe & # 39; a problem with regard to the formal notification of the relatives.
& # 39; The family went through a week that they didn't know and had to deal with it, and then in turn have the constant grief that they have to get through, so it's a sad thing, & # 39; Ashton said. .
Barwon Health Hospital (photo) and Victoria Police now keep in touch with the blunder after claiming police were contacted the day Mr. Conway died
. (TagsToTranslate) Dailymail (t) news