The man claims that his Fitbit & # 39; caught fire & # 39; while he slept and left him with terrible third-degree burns and said it felt the & # 39; gadget melted through his arm & # 39;
- Ethan Landers wore his Fitbit in bed on October 23 when he claimed it suddenly caught fire and left him with third-degree burns
- Fitbit says she & # 39; extremely worried & # 39; about Landers' complaint and have agreed to a full investigation
- The company has asked the native Iowa to hand over his device for an investigation, but he has not yet agreed to do so
- More than 70 million Fitbit watches have been sold in the last four years alone
- The portable technology company was purchased by Google last week for $ 2.1 billion
A man from Iowa was left with third-degree burns after his Fitbit Ionic watch reportedly caught fire and his wrist scorched in the middle of the night.
Ethan Landers went to Faceboook last week to share shocking photos of his wound and to warn others of the potential danger of wearing the popular fitness device.
Landers' mail has since become viral and has been shared thousands of times – no surprise given that more than 70 million Fitbits have been sold worldwide in the last four years alone.
Under horrific images of the injuries to his wrist, Landers told the & # 39; traumatic & # 39; incident and claimed: & # 39; I slept on Wednesday night when I woke up in a panic when my wrist burned.
Ethan Landers (right) went to Faceboook last week to share shocking photos of third-degree burns that he claims were sustained by his defective Fitbit. He is pictured with his wife who rushed him to the emergency room
Landers shared a series of horrific images of his third-degree burns
& # 39; I soon realized that my Fitbit was burning up, so I frantically tried to get it off. With a few failed attempts, I jumped out of bed and turned on the light where my wife could unlock the band on my Fitbit. & # 39;
The young father further claimed that it felt as if the device had melted through his arm & # 39; and that & # 39; smoke came from the Fitbit battery & # 39 ;.
& # 39; Our bedroom smelled like an electric fire, & # 39; he claimed.
With his white wrist and blisters, Landers told his Facebook friends that he and his wife were rushing to the ER, where doctors cleaned up the wound and took X-rays to make sure there was no debris in his arm.
A subsequent appointment in a wound clinic determined that the burn was third degree and that Landers may now need a skin transplant.
& # 39; I have no feeling in parts of my wrist due to nerve damage and I will have a big scar that will be with me for the rest of my life & # 39 ;, he wrote.
& # 39; This was a traumatic experience and I hope no one else has to go through it. So if you own a Fitbit, you should consider it again & # 39 ;.
With his white wrist and blistering, Landers said he and his wife rushed to the ER, where doctors cleared up the wound and took X-rays to check that no debris was left in his arm
Fitbit has tried to get the watch from Landers to test it, but he has not yet agreed to hand it over. His Fitbit Ionic is shown
In a statement, Fitbit told DailyMail.com: "We are very concerned about Mr. Landers' complaint about his Ionic, because the health and safety of our customers is our top priority."
& # 39; Fitbit products are designed and produced to strict standards and undergo extensive internal and external testing to ensure the safety of our users. Based on our internal and independent third-party testing and analysis, we do not believe that this type of injury can occur with normal use. & # 39;
The company says they & # 39; are committed to a full investigation & # 39 ;.
Fitbit has tried to get the watch from Landers to test it, but he has not yet agreed to hand it over.
Landers' mail has become viral and has been shared thousands of times
The company further told DailyMail.com: & We want to assure our customers that they can continue to enjoy their Fitbit products with confidence and see no reason for people to stop wearing their Fitbit Ionic or another Fitbit device.
& # 39; We will share additional information if we can & # 39 ;.
The company was purchased by Google last week for a whopping $ 2.1 billion, causing shares to increase by 17 percent.
& # 39; Google is an ideal partner to promote our mission & # 39 ;, said Fitbit CEO James Park in a statement after the Friday takeover.
He added: & # 39; With Google's resources and global platform, Fitbit can accelerate innovation in the wearables category, scale faster and make health even more accessible to everyone. I cannot be more excited about what awaits us. & # 39;
Fitbit was purchased by Google last week for a whopping $ 2.1 billion. The co
. (TagsToTranslate) Dailymail (t) news