Manchester City’s rebuilding project has ‘piqued interest in Bernardo Silva with Champions League clubs from Spain, France and Italy looking for the Portuguese midfielder’
Manchester City’s attempt to fine-tune their roster as they plan a new era of dominance has, according to reports, sparked interest from European superpowers in Bernardo Silva.
The Premier League champions plan to rebuild their roster this summer, and club president Khaldoon Al Mubarak confirmed they will make a letter of intent during the transfer window.
As Sports post Raheem Sterling and Riyad Mahrez, first unveiled last week, are just some of the big names placed on City’s sell list ahead of the club’s rebuilding project.
Bernardo Silva of Manchester City has sparked interest in a number of European top clubs
And now according to the Telegraph, Champions League clubs from Spain, France and Italy are looking to take advantage of City’s project by making a move to Silva.
European clubs are said to believe that the Portuguese midfielder, who has a long-term contract with City until 2025, could get a transfer if he wants a new challenge after four stellar years at Etihad.
Since moving from Monaco in 2017, Silva has won three Premier League titles, four Carabao Cups and one FA Cup, and finished second in the Champions League last season.
Spanish giants Barcelona previously expressed interest in the 26-year-old, but now have a number of players in his position, and due to their worrisome financial situation, they may struggle to pay him.
Silva has won three Premier League titles with City, one FA Cup and four Carabao Cups
City are looking to raise money, especially for a new striker, after losing Sergio Aguero on a free transfer to Barcelona, while Gabriel Jesus struggles to secure the starting position at the top.
Pep Guardiola’s side has been linked with a number of major forwards in recent weeks, including Erling Haaland, Harry Kane and Romelu Lukaku.
City are also on the hunt for Aston Villa captain and midfielder Jack Grealish, but there is an acknowledgment that they will have to shorten their roster before they make any big strides.
On Wednesday, City chairman Khaldoon warned their rivals they will continue to be “disruptive” to stay with the elite, while apologizing for his decision to join the failed European Super League.
Winger Raheem Sterling is one of a number of City players put up for sale
“We will continue to give our very best in everything we do because we want to be the best club in the world,” he said.
‘For that we have to disrupt – and we will do that. By being disruptive, you sometimes make mistakes. We made them in the past and we will make them in the future.
“We will be better and we will be stronger and we will be more successful.
“From where we were 12 years ago to where we are now, we couldn’t do what we’ve done without taking risks. To get to where we are, we’ve done a lot of things right and made mistakes.
“Our ability to compete in that top class is clear and we will be competitive and aggressive.”