A Premier League football star arrived at court today in a prison van under police escort to face four £5million rape charges at his home – including one this month.
Benjamin Mendy, 27, who plays for Manchester City, has been accused of assaulting three women for ten months – and also faces a single charge of sexual assault.
The defender, who moved to the reigning champions four years ago for a reported £52 million, arrived at Chester Magistrates’ Court this morning in a GeoAmey vehicle.
The DAF bus was escorted by a Peugeot 308 police car before entering the courthouse through an open red hatch door, which was then closed behind the door.
French international Mendy earns £90,000 a week and lives in a £5million mansion in Prestbury, an upmarket village near Manchester that is popular with fellow players.
Footballer Benjamin Mendy arrives at Chester Magistrates Court today under police escort
Benjamin Mendy is pictured on August 12 with his teammates at The Ivy in Manchester
He has also been suspended by Manchester City, the club announced last night.
Mendy is charged with three rapes at his home in Prestbury in October 2020, and the assault of a woman at his home in early January this year.
He is subsequently charged with the rape of a woman in August this year, also at his home. Mendy has also been accused of violating his bail conditions in August.
Today’s court record says that after he was released on July 26 this year, he broke a condition by allowing more than four people to be present at his home address.
The charges relate to three different complainants. About 14 journalists sat on the press bench near the court this morning, waiting for the defendant’s appeal.
Mendy’s legal team arrives at Chester Magistrates’ Court in Cheshire this morning
Benjamin Mendy plays for Manchester City against Tottenham Hotspur in London on August 15
The proceedings were somewhat delayed today as the court waited for an interpreter to arrive for the French international.
Sports post revealed in November that a Premier League star had been arrested on suspicion of rape but was unable to reveal his identity for legal reasons.
Yesterday, a spokesman for Cheshire Constabulary said the Crown Prosecution Service had authorized the force to charge Mendy in connection with the alleged sexual assaults, which involved three female complainants over the age of 16.
The spokesman said: ‘Benjamin Mendy, 27, has been charged with four counts of rape and one of assault.
Mendy arrives in a prison van at Chester Magistrates Court in Cheshire this morning
The defender arrives at Chester Magistrates’ Court this morning in a GeoAmey prison van
The DAF bus is accompanied by a Peugeot 308 police car before entering the court
The charges relate to three complainants over the age of 16 and allegedly took place between October 2020 and August 2021.
“Mendy, of Prestbury, has been remanded in custody and will appear in Chester Magistrates’ Court on Friday, August 27.”
He added: ‘Cheshire Constabulary and the Crown Prosecution Service would like to remind everyone that the criminal proceedings against Mendy are live and that he is entitled to a fair trial.
“It is extremely important that there is no reporting, commentary or sharing of information online that could in any way harm the ongoing proceedings.”
The van enters the building through an open red hatch door before closing behind it
The shutter door is being closed behind the prison bus after it arrives at the court this morning
Mendy to appear before Chester Magistrates’ Court in Cheshire, pictured this morning
Mendy was part of France’s World Cup-winning team in 2018, but did not play in the final. He has made 75 appearances for Manchester City since taking over from Monaco in 2017.
He played in Manchester City’s first two games this season, but sat on the bench for last weekend’s league win over Norwich City.
A Man City spokesperson said: “Manchester City can confirm that Benjamin Mendy, after being charged by police, has been suspended pending an investigation.
“The matter is subject to legal proceedings and the club cannot comment further until that process is completed.”