Man charged with manslaughter in connection with the deaths of 39 migrants found in a truck in Essex
Northern Ireland man accused of manslaughter in connection with the deaths of 39 migrants found in a refrigerated truck in Essex
- Ronan Hughes, from Co Armagh, Northern Ireland, charged with manslaughter
- He was charged with 39 counts of manslaughter and immigration crimes
- The 40-year-old has been arrested today and will appear before the Dublin Supreme Court
- The 39 Vietnamese nationals were found in a truck container in Grays, Essex
A man has been charged with manslaughter related to the deaths of 39 migrants found in a refrigerated container in Essex.
Ronan Hughes, of Co Armagh in Northern Ireland, will appear before the Dublin Supreme Court on Tuesday, charged with 39 cases of manslaughter and immigration crimes, Essex police said.
The 40-year-old was arrested Monday after the execution of a European arrest warrant in Ireland.
Police forensics officers found to contain 39 dead bodies in October last year, at Waterglade Industrial Park in Grays, Essex
The 39 Vietnamese nationals were found last October 23 in a truck container parked on a business park in Grays.
Ten teenagers, including two 15-year-old boys, were found among the dead.
Meanwhile, Eamonn Harrison from Mayobridge, Northern Ireland, has been allowed to appeal his extradition to the UK under a European arrest warrant from the Essex Police.
The 22-year-old is facing 39 charges of manslaughter, one of human trafficking and one of helping illegal immigration.
Another hearing will take place in Dublin on Thursday, May 7, the Essex police said.
Officers secure and investigate a truck in which the bodies of 39 people were found after it was parked in Essex last October
Assistant Chief Commissioner Tim Smith, Head of the Serious Crime Directorate in Kent and Essex, said: “Our investigation into these cases is ongoing and we should urge citizens and the media not to speculate, as all involved are entitled have a fair trial.
“ This investigation is one of the largest in Essex police history and we are working tirelessly to merge the events that took place until October 23, 2019 for the benefit of the victims and their loved ones.
“We have worked closely with the National Crime Agency and the Public Prosecution Service and with police and prosecutors in Ireland, Northern Ireland, France, Belgium, the Netherlands, Bulgaria, Germany and Vietnam.
“We are deeply grateful for the continued support for the investigation, and the victims and their families remain at the forefront of our minds.”